Gen 1 at the track (first time)

Jeremy Godo

Registered
Last weekend I raced for my first time. My second run was my best.
It was a 6:87 at 111. My 60 foot was 1.84.
The bike is mostly stock with a stock wheel base. It has exh, Pc, 4 short stacks, lowered as far as I can with the 3 hole links and 1 1/2 on the front forks.
How do I get this bike to fun high 9s?

I am getting head ported and cams
Air shifter
6 over arm.

I know practice is needed. Who has done good on a stock bike?

Do the little things first before you jump into motor mods. Once you do that, you will notice that you have to correct other things. For example, my 230-240hp turbo with +8 swingarm but incorrect shock and still tuning my lockup clutch is giving me the same 60' times as you where as I could cut a 1.4 60' on mine when it was stock.

Carpenter clutch ring. Holds the 2 piece assembly together and gives a better launch/feel. $80. While you are there, take a look at your fibers n plates and see if they are worn. How many miles on it? Springs might not be holding well either and you may be slipping.

Tell us about your launch. Any spin? What rpm did you leave at? How fast did you get the clutch out? How soon were you WOT?

I would say for a gen 1 based on your mods and 60, you are doing pretty good. What is your weight? With the mods you described and practice you should be able to get to the high 9's, just keep practicing. You should be able to take some where around .4 off of your 60 with being 6 over or at least close to it. Good luck!

Do the little things first before you jump into motor mods. Once you do that, you will notice that you have to correct other things. For example, my 230-240hp turbo with +8 swingarm but incorrect shock and still tuning my lockup clutch is giving me the same 60' times as you where as I could cut a 1.4 60' on mine when it was stock.

Carpenter clutch ring. Holds the 2 piece assembly together and gives a better launch/feel. $80. While you are there, take a look at your fibers n plates and see if they are worn. How many miles on it? Springs might not be holding well either and you may be slipping.

Tell us about your launch. Any spin? What rpm did you leave at? How fast did you get the clutch out? How soon were you WOT?

I had the clutch pieces welded by sae out of New York. I have 3 hd clutch springs and 3 oem.

I launched at 3 grand . It took me a second to get the bike in second. I have a video of the race. I will upload it to YouTube and share it.

I weight 160 and in 5 10

Have you a shift light? If you can get your ecu flashed, you can use your flapper valve solenoid to hook one up and mount it to the dash, a simple LED would work. Trying to rely on sound or tach to shift is hard. They can also get your rev limiter above 10.6 which your motor will handle fine.

I found that the HD springs didn't really slip on launch for me it seemed all or nothing. When I went to the lockup, now I went too far and slipped too much and cooked a set of plates with the light springs so I am working my way back. That being said, I have seen a guy who can launch a full on grudge zx14, full out KOG style, +15wb, slick, hit 1.17 60' consistently with just HD springs. I didn't believe it but its true. I have yet to see anyone else accomplish anything like that. Course he does 30-40 passes both weekend days every weekend and owns a bike shop.

Much more seat time is needed,before you start throwing money at the bike get to that 1/4mi track Jeff told me about and practice every weekend. And then practice some more:thumbsup:

It's your 1st time down the track on your Busa,you can't expect to have low ET's right away.
Fwiw Jeremey(and don't take this the wrong way please),a Gen1 set up like what you have right now is capable of 9.7s. So do your best to drop your ET before you give the bike more power. Sometimes more power will slow you down and make the bike harder to ride.

Sometimes more power will slow you down and make the bike harder to ride.
Damn right. My buddy who is an excellent rider who just transitioned from a 350hp full out grudge bike, just to give you an example of his skill, he cut 1.16 consistently with just HD springs, OEM clutch. 5.17 was the best I saw him run. Anyway, he sold that bike at KOG and bought a turbo zx14 with no boost control, 8lb spring. His first day at the track was tough. Completely needs to reconfigure the bike for the hp. Cant keep the front wheel on the ground.

The way you are set now, I would say just get a 2 step, practice the launch and you will be high 9's no problem. Tire might be a problem as well for traction though, so you may want a shinko hookup or something stickier. I had a similar setup as you, stock clutch, stock motor, 6" over, air shifter, shinko hookup tire, but I was running ECU editor and had the 2 step engaged. With me launching at 6500RPM I'd run 9.6's. I'm also not at sea level. So you got lots left before you even touch the motor.

Oh yeah, and adjust the shock to make that thing sag all the way down (but not bottom out!!!) when you launch and slowly come up.... That helped dearly with the traction like that. The rear shock is limited as to what it can do, but I'm still running my stocker after a couple hundred passes at least, and quite a few of those were when it is boosted.

SWB and slammed, mine has hit 9.70s at 5300ft. altitude w/6600ft DA with a 175lb suited rider. I could only muster a 10.20 but I was 290lbs suited.
Shift light set for 10k and actual shifts with electric shifter at 10.2 to 10.3k. Geared for 4 gears using 17/46. Launch off idle.

This year we are shooting for 9.50s before I put the 1441 back in. Done some tweaks and tuning.

You'll get there.....lots of practice and willing to try different techniques at launch as well as trying optimal shift points.

Back