Gearing question

pimpin420

Registered
Ok...I have seen some other posts on the subject, but didn't really come across what I was looking for. Hopefully you guys can help me.

I am looking into the possibility of changing the sprockets. I wanted to know if there is really that big of a difference in acceleration speeds\times by doing this. And, how drastically does it reduce top speed? I realize that most of us never really get the chance to run the Busa at top speed...often, so to lose a little would not be such a tragedy
tounge.gif
. I am looking to go with the HMF full dual system, and a small shot of nitrous. Have already did airbox mod and marble mod. Was just looking to see if the acceleration was really increased that much by just gearing changes.

I found what most have recommended, such as yourselves. I am looking for testimonial from actual users that can give me a comparison as to how much difference it will make. How much top speed is reduced by doing this? If there were a stock Busa and one that made the gearing change(43t), would the altered Busa walk away from the stock config?

yes.. it will make a big diffrence comparison would be like putting aa 3.73 Rear in a mustang it Gets you to your top speed much faster. I reccomend a speedohealer as well so you can recalibrate your speedometer. As fasr as the top speed loss im sorry i cant say exactly how much i lost but ill put it this way i still can max out my speedometer over 185 lol.

Along these same lines, what effect does the front have? A lot of times I see people go -1 front and +2 rear. What does that do, it almost seems counter productive.

-1 in the front is equal to going up 2-3 on the rear.

I went up 5 in the rear. Biggest thing I noticed was worse gas mileage
winkold.gif

Along these same lines, what effect does the front have? A lot of times I see people go -1 front and +2 rear. What does that do, it almost seems counter productive.
When gearing down it's all about a fraction or ratio. The driven gear(rear) needs to be larger and or the drive gear(front) needs to be smaller.If you went up on both or down on both it wouldn't really change the ratio that much or at all maybe.

Thanks guys, Hope i'm not annoying anyone with all the questions. Just figured I would ask the guys that know from experience. Is going just one tooth or even two gonna make a feelable difference? I am assuming from what everyone else has responded with the 43T its gonna make quite a bit of difference. Just curious if it would even be worth it to only go down a tooth or two?

Talking rear sprocket;

Doubt you could feel going up 1 tooth.

You should be able to feel 2 or 3 teeth up. Advantage here is you can keep the stock chain if its in good shape and isn't too old.

5 teeth
firedevil.gif
No doubt you'll feel it
winkold.gif
But you will need 2 links more than stock for the chain.

Back