Gearing Question

Dakkine2

Donating Member
Registered
Been racing the bike every week and I'm wondering if i should change my gearing. Here's how the bike is set up.

16/45 gearing
Lowered front and rear with strap up front.
2"-7" extensions set at 6"
Shinko ultra soft
Muzzy Airshifter

Me, I'm 6'8" and around 320lbs suited.
I've been getting better with every trip to the track and only been to the track twice running this setup with a total of maybe 12 passes. 2 weeks ago i was stuck at 10.70. Now my best is a 1.79 60' and 10.35@134mph with the gearing I've listed above. I had a 1.77 60" but missed a shift resulting in a crappy 1/4 time.
I have a 42 tooth sprocket here but didn't know if I should stick with the setup I'm using now or stick the 42 on.
Any suggestions?
Jeff

the times is not what you look at. what you need to worry about is what rpm you are going through the traps at, and where you want to be going through at. then build from there.

Agree with Super Busa here.... Do you know what RPM you are crossing the line at? A 16/42 will put you crossing in 4th gear. I'm right about 10,000 going across. A 16/43 might put you closer to where you want to be considering you size and mph. If you are not having problems keeping the front wheel on the ground you might be better off crossing the line in the very top of 5th.

If you have the 42 you might try it. If your 60's comes down, I'd try the 43.

I was using the 42 when the bike was stock wheelbase. I had 1.9-2.0 60's and would go through in the top of 4th right before the limiter. Now i go through in 5th at probably 9000 or 9500.
I guess my question should be if I continue to knock down my 60' will i go through the traps farther into 5th gear with the setup I have now? My goal is to get into the 9's the way the bike is now. With my weight and a stock motor I think that would be a pretty good goal.

i think you have the right idea by getting your 60' s down but im not sure that it will change your rpm that you cross the traps by that much

Hard to tell-- but I think you got  too much gear.  With your weight..I'd try a 16/44.  I trap at redline in 5th and pull really hard all the way thru.  I found my 60' time went down with the 16/44.... It will go down with practice as your seeing.

Best mod I did was leaving the line at higher RPM... made more changes in ET than anything else. Tach it up somemore...I leave at 8000 now feathering the clutch to the 1st shift.

If you are not floating the front tire you just aren't leaving hard enough. This has been my downfall, keep easing off a little to keep from hurting something or loosing traction. You have plenty of weight so you should be able to launch plenty hard enough to drop your 60' time into the low 1.60's with that setup. I am right around 200lbs and when the bike was pretty much stock with gears and an extension i could lay down 1.64 all day long, funny now that I spend more time thinking about the NOS my short times have gotten worse but lay down big MPH runs with similar ET's.

Back