Gearing question

PhantomBusa

Registered
Im new here,and looking for information on gearing for the 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile runs. I have an 02 LE Busa with the Velocity Stage II Turbo, 0-10" over swing arm from (TotalkaosPerformance). I have a second rim set up for race only use, with a slick. I have an 18 tooth front gear, and im looking for the best gear selection for the rear. Im thinking of going to a 45 tooth for the rear. Would this be a good setting for the 1/8th mile? I have a 1/8th mile track near my house, and plan on practicing my launch technique there. Will also be running the 1/4 mile at Houston Raceway Park. Your input is appreciated.

I would stay with the 18 up front... especially with that kinda power. I am running an 18 on my turbo too and I run a 42 on the rear. Not sure what is the best rear gear, but stay with the larger front gears if you want to keep the chain together.

hey phantom, you know gearing down like that is gonna blow that tire loose, go with the 18 front and no more that 40....i'll stick with my 18-38....

17 and throw the 18 away unless you ride on the street. as for the 1/8 mile unless you want to practice 60' you will waste time and tires.40-42 on the rear

17 and throw the 18 away unless you ride on the street. as for the 1/8 mile unless you want to practice 60'  you will waste time and tires.40-42 on the rear
Johnny:

The few guys I know with Turbos have suggested using the 18 then raising the rear gears to avoid the tighter chain radius. For instance an 18-45 combo. You say no?

I rode Johnny's bike with a 18/38 and a M/T and smoked it HARD thru 4th gear.
When the ass end started to come visit the front, I decided to let off.
I ain't exagerating either!
I WAS on asphualt tho.

I am a bit bummed, i've had this thing nearly a hear and got less than 1k miles on it... oh well, the '01 non-turbo get 18k hard miles on it last year and still running strong!

Back