Gearing question

MX Tuner

Registered
New to this site and have 1000 miles on my 8 day old '06 Hayabusa. Man, what a neat bike! f this bike doesn't cure my urges, I'll have to try huge doses of heroine.

One issue I have is the spacing of the gears. First is fine but the gaps between all the gears seems awfully close. I find I can ride smoother going from first to third and then to fifth. Has anyone here tried running a one tooth larger front sprocket? I'm not worried about any loss of acceleration but would sure like to stretch the gaps between gears.

What is necessary to cure the unavoidable speedo error if I try this? Where is the speedo driven from?

Thanks for any and all help. I'm new to thsi streetbike stuff. I've been riding dirtbikes for 40 years but $3 a gallon gas forced my purchase (that's my story and I'm sticking with it).

Anyone need any dirtbike help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Mark Klein

New to this site and have 1000 miles on my 8 day old '06 Hayabusa. Man, what a neat bike! f this bike doesn't cure my urges, I'll have to try huge doses of heroine.

One issue I have is the spacing of the gears. First is fine but the gaps between all the gears seems awfully close. I find I can ride smoother going from first to third and then to fifth. Has anyone here tried running a one tooth larger front sprocket? I'm not worried about any loss of acceleration but would sure like to stretch the gaps between gears.

What is necessary to cure the unavoidable speedo error if I try this? Where is the speedo driven from?

Thanks for any and all help. I'm new to thsi streetbike stuff. I've been riding dirtbikes for 40 years but $3 a gallon gas forced my purchase (that's my story and I'm sticking with it).

Anyone need any dirtbike help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Mark Klein
Congrats and welcome! Speedo error can be corrected with either a Yellow Box or SpeedoHealer. Some have tried the 18 tooth front, but not many. Post some pics of your bike. We make that sort of an unwritten rule around here.

The speedometer will be closer with an 18 tooth sprocket than the stock 17 is. May be spot on.

Back