Gearing Question

DSMGSXGuy

Registered
I'm still new and still trying to understand bikes in general, I'm going to start off on a gsxr600 or katana, whichever I can find for cheaper, but while doing my research on things I'd eventually like to do to my future busa, I've come across the whole "front and rear sprocket gearing" thing. Basically I'm wondering how one goes about changing the gearing, and EVERY little thing one needs when changing the gearing. Does anyone know what stock gearing is? and I'm one of those lunatics obsessed w/ top speed...so I'd want something to allow for 200mph near redline in 6th w/ basic bolt ons, pc3, etc. Thanks for the help and putting up with my nubness.

The Busa's geared to go 200 at the redline in sixth. Under perfect conditions, with a full exhaust/pc and a good pc map, it should prolly be able to do it....a stock Busa was clocked at 200.2 in England. But all the Busa's since 2001 I believe are restricted to 186, so you would also need to buy a $30 de-restrictor.....and of course find a place suitable enough to go 200
wink.gif
The stock gearing is 17 front and 40 rear. Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

The Busa's geared to go 200 at the redline in sixth. Under perfect conditions, with a full exhaust/pc and a good pc map, it should prolly be able to do it....a stock Busa was clocked at 200.2 in England. But all the Busa's since 2001 I believe are restricted to 186, so you would also need to buy a $30 de-restrictor.....and of course find a place suitable enough to go 200  
wink.gif
The stock gearing is 17 front and 40 rear. Hope this helps  
biggrin.gif
are they rpm restricted or just speed restricted? I've been looking at others threads about top speed in their stock bikes and have noticed they hit like 182 or 186 @ 10,800 rpms...isn't that where the busa redlines? Personally I'd like to hit 200mph without having to take the bike 800-1k rpms beyond redline or anywhere beyond redline for that matter.

I'm still a little confused as to how one goes about changing the gearing, b/c dont u need to buy new sprockets for the gearing you want and a new chain to go with it? or am I completely off here?

10,200 in sixth = 186
redline is 11,000
is 11k redline or where the factory tach stops reading? granted im new to busas and bikes, but I know most of the time just b/c tach reads up to 11k doesnt mean it redlines there. (sorry if it sounds like Im insulting ur intelligence, Im not, I dont mean to be rude, I just see all the time how people say redline IS 10,800 period)

Also, anyone know about having to change the chain when u change gears? or is it all in the sprockets?

10,200 in sixth = 186
redline is 11,000
is 11k redline or where the factory tach stops reading? granted im new to busas and bikes, but I know most of the time just b/c tach reads up to 11k doesnt mean it redlines there. (sorry if it sounds like Im insulting ur intelligence, Im not, I dont mean to be rude, I just see all the time how people say redline IS 10,800 period)

Also, anyone know about having to change the chain when u change gears? or is it all in the sprockets?
You don't need to change the gearing to go 200...its geared stock to go 200 at the indicated redline which is 11,000. You just need a little more power and perfect conditions.
The tachs on most bikes are usually off some and the Busa's no exception.....at 11,000 indicated its actually only spinning 10,800. And the Busa's rpm restricted in top gear so it only revs to 10,200 instead of 10,800 (or 11,000 indicated)...thats why it only goes 186. But a $30 TRE will fix that
wink.gif

Unless you have alot of miles on your chain and sprockets you can just change sprockets alone. The chain has nothing to do with gearing...thats strictly controlled by the sprockets.

200 is purty fast, ride one in stock trim and see if you really need to go any faster. I recommend changing the chain whenever you get new sprockets.

Back