Gearing for top end? Buddy has a zx14 and i want to leave him.

Maxton is the place to go for you. It's for the top speed jumckie like myself. It's located in NC and there are 5 weekend events each year. It can be very humbling to the new comer if they set their goals to high.

BTW, I know we covered your gearing issues a bit, but you need to remove your top end limiter as someone else said. The TRE works 50-50 on the gen 2 Busa, but go with the GPS mod. That works 100%. Have to pull the clutch but only $10 more than the TRE and more reliable.

Did you read the part about the stock gearing? You only want to use a smaller gear in the back if you are running a speed trap, not another bike

ok cool im on a gen 1 busa where do i find this gps mod? Im looking at a 42 tooth rear now for 45 bucks

I haven't done the research on a gen 1 GPS MOD but I'd just ask your local shop or search a thread on here to see if they are close to the same.

Isn't stock gearing on 1st gen 40 in the rear? If I remember correctly you have 17/40 but I could be wrong...you would going with a higher gear with a 42 and lose a little top end.

Gen II is 18/43 and 42 works great (again...as long as you have enough room to wind it up) I run a 41 some, but 40 wont fit with the stock chain.

the best advice you can get about a street top end race is simple expect something to go wrong everytime you do it; that way you can prepare just incase something does happen. so just find a out of the way low traffic road that long 5mi or longer with less than one cross road or left/right turn for every mile and a half. then go down the road and look for pot holes lose grave amount of wild life

you don't need to pull your clutch or anything just a simple tweek to the ecu and it's done. check out boostbysmith.com - Home there's plenty of info there.

yes the +2 does give you more off the line and lower the top speed. By switching to a bigger sprocket in the back it might help you get the jump on him and get through the revs quicker. Once you're above 170 aero's are so important. Your bike doesn't have enough hp to hit 200mph so there's no reason to gear for that. I would think by the time you guys are hitting 180's someone has probably backed off.

As for flashing I think on Greg's site he lists all the places that flash the ecu. Since all you want to do is get rid of the speed restriction you really just need to find someone in your general area who has one and could just help you out. It only takes 5 minutes or less to do it.

Cool thanks. So far i cant find anyone to flash it. the dealer wont do it and the other two shops in the area have no clue. So HEEEEEEEEElp

the speedo is outa whack any how. Swapping to +2 in the rear will make it even more outa whack. (indicated speed will be higher than actual). You could send a note to Greg (smithabusa) and maybe he could pass along your contact information for someone that semi local to you that has purchased the the ecu hack hardware/software. The other option is to post a new thread asking if anyone is in your area.

Yes the GenI is 17/40 i belive i hope 2 teeth up wont screw up my speedo to much

i see a lot of gear swaps telling how to be more zip by going up in the rear teeth. Im considering going down a few teeth i leave in the DC area and we get a lot of top end rides with my buddies and i pretty much leave everything except that damm 14. we trade top end leads a lot. I know if i go down in the rear he may leave me off the line but i want him in his mirrors cause im comming. I have a full tye force for now a air box mod and PC3 is next i guess i need a tre also. Im still new to the Busa's so ANY help i can get would be cool.
Unfortunately the 14 is just a faster bike than the gen1 busa (I own both)...those are the facts. The only way you'll pull him at all is if you have a big advantage of some kind, otherwise he'll always be right beside you or in front. The surest fix is a turbo...expensive, but 99.999% of the time you'll never have to worry about ANYbody ever pulling you again, and its cheaper than buying a new bike every 2 years, and you'll crush everybody, not just slightly pull them :thumbsup: Otherwise that pesky 14 is prolly always going to be pesky :laugh:

I shopped around and picked up a used system, including polished megaphone exhaust, shortened oil pan, and lock-up clutch for $3700. If you shop and negotiate a bit you can find systems for pretty good prices right now :beerchug: You would end up spending close to that on high end bolt on mods for a bike.......and it sure beats the heck out of the money lost modding a bike then selling it to get the next newest model :laugh:
And set-up right and treated decent, turbo bikes can last a long long time. I got 13k out of my last one before I sold it running strong :thumbsup:

Well not to say anything but to help and answer your question only, the TRE mod deffinantly unless you want to flash the ECU, it is cheap and easy to do th TRE and that will remove the limiter, also like others have said work on tucking in tight at high speed getting rid of a tiny bit of drag is worth more then adding a good bit of hp at those speeds, don't change gearing because even with higher gearing it might not have the power to keep pulling and then you lose on bottom end AND top... just TRE tuck in tight, you should only be looking through the wind screen and if you don't have a wind screen that you can see through get rid of it and get a transparent or slightly tinted double bubble windscreen or something so you can get behind it and be aerodynamic

for the speedo, get the speedo healer and you can calibrate it for any geering, I have one and mount my GPS on my busa and calibrate it to the GPS speed. +1 to turbo as ultimate fix, but plan on spending some cash though...

One thing about having a bike like the Busa. There's no need to prove anything. Everyone knows they're insanely fast anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

As Bogus said, you aren't going to spank a 14 unless you do some serious engine work. You are not going to do it with a TRE or Pipes w/PCIII etc. Taller gears are only going to put you farther behind. Your bike won't redline in 6th gear now, why would you want taller gears?

Those 14's are blazing fast and you are handicapped with the Gen I.

So, if your life's desire is to spank your friends stock 14, belly up to the bar and get ready to spend some serious cash!

Back