Gearing/Chain Lash

snbusa

Registered
By chain lash I mean the chug chug a lug. The Busa, I believe, is known as having a tendency to surge forward at low speed. I'm hoping that if I go up 3 on the back the bike will run smoother at low speed. I've had my bike dyno tuned and ecu flashed and one of my least favorite things about it is it still has the surge. Help! Does this make scientific sense to hope for a smoother low speed performance with the larger rear sprocket? Also, is there anything else I can to to maintain constant speed, for example, while going around a tight low mph turn before I accellerate?

Ive never heard of this chug a lug chug. Surge at low speeds :dunno: Not sure how your riding or if your using the clutch.. Are you trying to go slower then the idle rpm mph in first?

Not trying to go slower than idle but it should pull evenly at idle shouldn't it? Even so I'm going 10-15mph in turns and its surging and stutters when I twist the wrist so maybe I have some other problem. I do believe I read they have this tendency though. Not sure where at the moment. Thanks

It's the nature of the beast to surge at idle speed in 1st gear. And by the way, you went the wrong direction on the sprocket if you were trying to fix the surge. A smaller rear sprocket tends to quiet the beast at idle.

There are however, some things you can do to help yourself out. try setting the idle up from 1100 RPM to 1400 RPM. This will make a considerable difference and may even cure that little spot where you need to just crack the throttle slightly. The second fix is to learn to slip the clutch at low RPM to smooth the beast out. The clutch actually works quite well. When it starts it's little stuttering thing just turn the throttle up to about 2000 RPM and slip the cutch. Once you get the hang of it, works like a dream. Lots of guys at the track has this very same problem when attempting to add maintenance throttle in a tight slow corner. Slipping the clutch is the key. If you can't get the hang of it in 1st gear, try 2nd gear and slip the clutch. After a few days of practice you'll be a seasoned pro! :thumbsup:

Going up 3 teeth I think would help you some.Your speed would stay the same for the corners that give you trouble,but you'd bring engine rpms up higher,HOPEFULLY past where yer tune has its surges. Keep in mind speedo will now be off,odometer will rack up faster,and you'll have a lower top speed,but you will accelerate faster. make sure you have excellent throttle control,it will be snappy. (speedo healer would fix speedo/odo errors)

RSD.

had the same issue but it was fixed when i got her on the dyno, hope you can figure it out :beerchug:

I generally get it backwards in math. I reasoned more teeth (+3) on rear sprocket, then, more links have teeth in them and less free play in chain. Do I have it wrong as usual? Or is this just an insignificant number of full links?

You can build up the motor for higher top end, which will lower the bottom end and even out the lash a bit.

By chain lash I mean the chug chug a lug. The Busa, I believe, is known as having a tendency to surge forward at low speed. I'm hoping that if I go up 3 on the back the bike will run smoother at low speed. I've had my bike dyno tuned and ecu flashed and one of my least favorite things about it is it still has the surge. Help! Does this make scientific sense to hope for a smoother low speed performance with the larger rear sprocket? Also, is there anything else I can to to maintain constant speed, for example, while going around a tight low mph turn before I accellerate?

Go around the turn in a higher gear.
A +3 rear sprocket is also a lot of fun for street riding.
It gives the bike a little more uphm in higher gears at lower speeds too.

I generally get it backwards in math. I reasoned more teeth (+3) on rear sprocket, then, more links have teeth in them and less free play in chain. Do I have it wrong as usual? Or is this just an insignificant number of full links?

Indeed if the chain is exceptionally loose you will get more gear lash. A couple more links in the chain will make no noticeable difference.

By going up three teeth on the sprocket you have now made all your gears noticeable lower. I'm sure you have little if any issue at idle in second gear, only first. Correct? The lower the gear the more noticeable the gear lash. By lowering first gear even more (via up three teeth on the sprocket) you have increased the amount of gear lash.

How old is the chain? It may be time for a replacement. If it is stretched too much, you will get chain lash and even adjusting it won't help.

rearchain.HTMQUOTE=ZRXMAX;3026731]If what you say is true then why do we have a service limit on 20 links measured with a tape measure ?

Here is a pretty interesting read on chains.
Dan's Motorcycle "The Rear Chain"
Stretching isn't how they describe the wear factor of chain.[/QUOTE]

I lost interest in "Dan" about line 2 when he said its best to lube a chain once every hour. Are you kiddin' me. "Dan can blow me".

He also said chains aren't encased in an oil bath anymore because of the lack of cool factor.

"Dan" says make sure and spray the sides real good. Why,so it can fly off easier.

I could go on but,here's the short version...

"Dan" is a fuggin' idiot.

RSD.

Here is a pretty interesting read on chains.
Dan's Motorcycle "The Rear Chain"
Stretching isn't how they describe the wear factor of chain.

I lost interest in "Dan" about line 2 when he said its best to lube a chain once every hour. Are you kiddin' me. "Dan can blow me".

He also said chains aren't encased in an oil bath anymore because of the lack of cool factor.

"Dan" says make sure and spray the sides real good. Why,so it can fly off easier.

I could go on but,here's the short version...

"Dan" is a fuggin' idiot.

RSD.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! old article.

Back