Gearing +3 in the rear?

edcop

Banned
I just use my 2008 busa for street/highway and don't drag race.
I weigh 200 Lbs.
How much of a difference would +3 on the rear sprocket make?
I am kinda afraid if I make that change, I might not like it.

I went plus on the rear on my 06 and don't like it. Cruises at higher rpm on the highway , on the plus side seems a little more responsive but it didn't need it anyway :laugh:

I went plus on the rear on my 06 and don't like it. Cruises at higher rpm on the highway , on the plus side seems a little more responsive but it didn't need it anyway :laugh:

I am happy with stock gearing but heard in a different thread that some like +3 in the rear, not sure if i would like it or not

I am happy with stock gearing but heard in a different thread that some like +3 in the rear, not sure if i would like it or not

I am +3 in the rear on my gen 1 and love it. You can use it with the stock chain so if you don't like it just swap the original back on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I have +3 on my 08 and really like it. It does fit the stock chain fine with plenty of slack for adjustment. It only raises the rpm's about 400 too, so cruising and highway is no problem. The wheelbase will be shortened over 1" and cornering will be improved. The bike will feel more powerful and as if it has alot more torque. You will not really notice any difference in top end.:thumbsup:

I'm +3 on my 06. It makes a huge difference on take-offs and will prob help your clutch last alot longer. One thing to remember is if you change out the rear it will change the mph(about 4 mph diff) and the miles on the odometer will not be accurate unless you do the speedohealer.:beerchug:

Just try it out and see if you like it. Changing the a rear sprocket is pretty easy. You'll gain acceleration but lose top end speed and maybe some MPG. I'm sure you won't notice the bike topping out in the 175ish or care about getting 1 or 2 mpg less.

Do you go WOT alot? If you don't you might not notice the change.

Good Luck!

I ran +4 and loved it...still got over 45 mpg on the hwy...Gen2 '08 18/47 :thumbsup:

+3 works on the stock length chain...+4 you need a longer one...116 links vs. 114 links.
Posted via Mobile Device

I went +3 rear and really like it ...
Power wheelies are completely possible on a stock 'Busa ...
But they come almost a thousand RPMs earlier now ...
Not that I have ever tried ... they just happen on accident ... :laugh:

i am 17 45 and like it .. i am also stretched 4 over.. gas mileage sux but it is quick as hell... :thumbsup:

Yeah, get a new front sprocket too, they're only around $20 anyway. It's obviously up to you, but I'de stay with the stock 18 tooth.(You can change out sprockets and not cause premature wear on a chain as long as it's properly adjusted and maintained; but considering the chain and rear sprocket will be new and front's are so cheap, it only makes sense.)
A 17 tooth front or lower will make less use of the bike's available torque, it will be faster revving, and feel less torquey like a 1000.
-1 front = +3 rear is also a misconception. Even though the over all gear ratio is very close on paper, the feel when riding the bike IS very different.
You could buy a 17 and an 18 an see which you prefer too.:beerchug:

Strictly for moving quicker from 0-60. Most guys rolling hard like it, but you will run higher RPMs and probably hurt fuel economy. It doesn't sound like you would mind topping out at 179 vs. 193 :laugh:

PS real easy to swap back out if you don't like it.

Back