gearing 101

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
hey dudes....bin goofin with the final drive lately . Up 2 in the back . down one in the front . both . yadda yadda yadda .

ok...the prob. When I went down one tooth up front (yesterday morning) I then went out on a 3 hour tour with the buds.
I noticed I now have a low to medium pitched whine . It's motion specific , meaning it's there all the time . Not motor related.
Example : At 100 kph , 200 kph it's there . Pull in the clutch an' coast it's there. I got her up to a 100 , then pulled in the clutch an' coasted to a stop , with the sound slowing as bike speed dropped . Noise doesnt drop in volume with slowing and its there till yer almost dead stopped . At first I thought I had moved a part of the fairing , or I had wind noise from something (helmet maybe) . Dont think so thou . It's like something has become unbalanced harmonicly , if that makes sense . Idea's anyone . Anyone had any probs dropppin one up front ?

Hey RSD....when ya changed up sprockets, did ya change the chain.
If ya didn't and ya had a slightly stretched chain that was matched to the wear on the old sprockets it might cause some weird whining noises.
Happened to me on a dirtbike a few years back.

Well the first question is did you change the chain?  If not the whine is most likely from the chain not fitting exact on the sprockets.  Sounds like you may have tight spots on the chain. Spin real slow and test every 10 links for up down movement.

Also up 2 and down 1 you have a big change in ratio.  Roughly .35 difference in the final drive ratio.  You will be pretty quick of the line.  
biggrin.gif

Make sure that the sprockets are straing and tight sometimes the whine could be coming from tension side to side also.

One more thing generally you will not have trouble with that gear ratio. Even with new chain and sprokets you will notice a little sound from the front, but should not hear much.

If ya didn't and ya had a slightly stretched chain that was matched to the wear on the old sprockets it might cause some weird whining noises.
You must have posted the same time I did. Thinking a like I guess.
biggrin.gif

You must have posted the same time I did.  Thinking a like I guess.
biggrin.gif
great minds think alike....
biggrin.gif

ya guys , new DID Xring , new Spacely Space Sprockets(remember that cartoon,The Jetsons) anyways , just went out for a blast ,and its still there , but at a lower volume I think .
Whadda you guys think of this theory: because the chain is turning a tighter circle up front its chewing a new ,deeper path thru the rubber . Whadda ya think?
Or am I just losin' touch with reality?
Any futher ideas Ninja E ?

biggrin.gif

I noticed an immediate change in 'noise' after I went -1 up front. It is because the teeth on the new sproket are so much larger than stock that it makes more contact noise with the chain.

If yer just fudgin around and have some time, just change out the front one and you'll hear the diffy. It freaked me out the first time, but its normal. As long as you got everything inline.

I noticed an immediate change in 'noise' after I went -1 up front. It is because the teeth on the new sproket are so much larger than stock that it makes more contact noise with the chain.

If yer just fudgin around and have some time, just change out the front one and you'll hear the diffy. It freaked me out the first time, but its normal. As long as you got everything inline.
I think its a combination of the "Cache-Bribe" theory,and partly my own theory . The aftermarket spacely-space-spocket that I used dosen't have the rubber buffers on it that the stock one did . I think its that anyway .

thx dudes .
thx Cache-Cow .

Back