Gear shift indicator

Bruce Bell

Registered
I don't know about you guys but not having a gear indicator on my Gen 1 sucks. My 1983 V-65 magna, yes 1983 had a gear indicator. How many time have you ever tried to shift into 7th gear?

That mythical 7th gear. On my last bike i attempted that one quite a few times. always just had to laugh at myself in my helmet. :banghead:

It is good to know you are in neutral but the rest of the time if your going fast...likley over the speed limit...the plug in ones are great but for extra effort it might be better to not have one

I just keep jamming until the shifter won't go anymore, but it's not worth $160-$200 to me to know exactly. It might be a little handy at the drag strip or road course to be 100% sure, but for the street, nah, not worth it for me.

I have a gear indicator on my Gen 1 an disconnected because I would look for 7th even with it on. :laugh:

Plus it it's a constant draw on the battery even when the bike is off :angry:

I have a gear indicator on my Gen 1 an disconnected because I would look for 7th even with it on. :laugh:

Ya thats the bad part..with the constant draw..but i really like the one i have..just to get an idea of what gear your in....after having one its hard to go without it..but thats just my opinion

I got them on all my bikes and personally probably couldn't live without one now. So easy knowing exactly what gear your in with just a glance,ATRE built in,no more having to remember what RPM at what speed to determine what gear(definitively helps the older you get, or if you ride more than just 1 bike often enough) no worries about dropping it 1 too many or 1 not enough when you see ur buddy trying to sneek up and make you chase him down. ???
Never find myself looking for gears that aren't there because it is sitting right there telling you where she is. Believe me if it says 6 and your still looking for 7th then sorry it's no cure for that.:laugh:

And as for draw on battery, it is so minute it shouldn't matter as long as your battery isn't on it's last leg. I have left the bike sitting for probably a month or more with the GiPro and a 900i Scorpio alarm w/o being on a tender and hit the starter button and she fired right up. So if anyone is having a problem with it draining battery, unless it's sitting for months then chances are you probably have something else pulling amps somewhere.

I just installed one and I put it on a switched 12 volt. No problem with drawing power with it sitting, like that ever happens.

Had one on an old suzuki once as you say never believed it . kept looking for that 7th :banghead:

Back