Gear recommendations

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
Just curious what others use and can recommend. I replaced my old arai with a newer one, upgraded my cycle gear boots with Sidi vortice and my beat up alpine gp1 gloves that started tearing at the index finger were replaced 3 weeks ago with the newer model since I love the comfort and protection they offer. My problem right now is mostly trying to decide on pants. I have always used Kevlar jeans, but I’m not sure if I should just get a new pair or try some of the other materials available out there. Keep in mind I’m in Florida and jeans don’t breath well and now that I ride a concours14 often it’s even hotter due to its great wind protection. let me know what you use, and how’s the ventilation.

Ohh.... and I don’t want to spend $500 on pants.

I gained 110 pounds..... lost 25 of it.... I don't know what to do.... none of my old stuff fits, and I don't wanna buy new stuff until I find my comfort zone.

Currently, I have an AGV Tartaruga helmet, Dainese D-Frame textile jacket, and Dainese Guanto Paddock gloves. Next purchase will be Dainese boots. As for pants, I just wear what I plan to wear that day. I dont buy riding pants. Eventually, I'll get a full Dainese D1 one piece race suit.

Get on Revzilla and check out the textile/mesh pants section. A lot of times they have stuff on clearance but sizes are limited. I’ve got a few pairs of textile/mesh pants and they flow a ton of air and help keep you cool while still armored and padded where you need it. I’m always looking for deals on there and eBay. I’ve never paid over $200 for a pair of pants BTW

Joe Rocket Ballistic pants. Cheap, very safe (been down twice in them and no rash), and good in all weather/temp. Personally, I don't think much heat is transferred through the legs and they are next to the engine! Focus on the head and torso for cooling. Spend your money on a good quality, well designed jacket and helmet.

BTW: Modular helmets make a world of difference as far as keeping cool, especially on a touring bike. Also don't forget hydration. You spend long hours on a touring bike and your temp rises as the body loses fluid trying to cool itself.

I started with Scorpion gear and since I liked it from the get go, I haven't really strayed. I've gone through two helmets and I like them a lot, but quick release mechanism for the face shield can wear out after a couple years. I'm usually ready for a new helmet by then anyway. I have a heavier leather Scorpion jacket that I love, just about bullet proof. It's kinda heavy, but does have a removable liner and zipper vents all around. It's still pretty brutal anytime its over 85 out, especially sitting at a red light. But I was always taught to dress for the crash, not the ride.

I am in the market for a new helmet though, and I jumped on this forum for some ideas...

Shoei or Arai, and only one of them is going to fit Your head right.
Shoei is for us egg heads.
Arai is for you round heads.
I'de buy both from Revzilla, and send back the one that doesn't fit.
And, a pin-lock(anti-fog), and photocramatic/transitions sheild is worth it's weight in gold.

For gear, I like Joe Rocket, high quality, good prices, and they fit Me good.
And there's always AlpineStars, I want one of there airbag jackets/suits.

Anyone here use any of the Motoport line of kevlar mesh jackets? In the market to replace my 10 year old mesh jacket.

You should look at the Shoei Neotech II modular. It's a great helmet and not your daddy's modular - new look. If you tour on the Busa this is a great helmet. Otherwise I go Shoei like Sixpack said. I like Joe Rocket too. I am currently wearing an Olympia mesh jacket and it is very good and flexible. Rain, sun, hot, cold it seems to be able to be configured for. I also have an old favorite Joe Rocket leather jacket that is 8 years old and still awesome in the fall/winter.

My Joe rocket leathers and boots are 17-18 years old, and still in great shape(SaddleSoap). I replace gloves, knee pucks, and helmets every few years. The jacket's shoulder and side ventilation is excellent, and it zips to the pants.
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic armored winter jacket around the same age, and I wear it in the woods in the winter riding 4 wheelers too.
Mud, water, grease, nothing has faded or damaged it in any way.
I've been extremely impressed with Joe Rocket's quality and durability over the years.

Back