Gear position sensor

first vr4

Registered
Does anyone know how to check the gear position sensor to make sure it's working correctly? I have another thread concerning my GiPro but it seems that might not be the problem. My bike will stutter in third gear and the GiPro will display that it's in different gears. I've contacted GiPro tech and this was what they e-mailed me:
Thank you for your email.

I'm not sure what is going on, we haven't received a similiar report before.

[Yes, the GIpro receives the signal from the GP sensor.
Sounds like the GP signal is not stable in 3rd gear.

First, disable ATRE mode (select mode "-").
I'd expect the unit will still show 3rd gear incorrectly.

If you wish, I can send instructions how to test the GP sensor.

Kind Regards,
/Norbert
HealTech Electronics

Oh.. I should mention that this happened after I blew and had my clutch replaced. I'm pretty sure the gear position sensor in behind the clutch cover somewhere?

Yes, the switch is behind the clutch basket.

From the GPS connecter, you want to measure the voltage from the pink wire to ground. I use a needle point probe to pierce the wire. They should be in this area:

First: 1.8
Second: 2.2
Third: 3.0
Fourth: 3.7
Fifth: 4.4
Sixth: 4.7
Neutral 5.0

No but the switches need to be on.

You can also disconnect the connector and measure the resistance between the pink and black wires if you want.

6th gear 15K ohm
5th gear 6.8K ohm
4th gear 2.75K ohm
3rd gear 1.5k ohm
2nd gear 835 ohm
1st gear 588 ohm
Neutral is open

Good stuff to know Rick!
beerchug.gif

Thanks! I'll have to wait until Monday to do this now due to my daughter having a cheerleading competition to go to tomorrow.
If I do need one do I have to go to the dealer for the part? You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of the gear position sensor do you?
Good thing the bike doesn't have to be running!! LOL

Greg Smith has the market cornered on the used ones
smile.gif

By diagram, Are you wanting the electical part or the mechanical part?

Brendanp did a write up on swaping it out. https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=47;t=58321

However, it might not be the actual sensor. It could be the contacts/springs if it was messed with. They should not have had it out to repair the clutch, but you never know.

Parts 38/40/41
10155_24.gif

Professor,
That link was very helpful! Could you e-mail me those two pics? They are too small for me to see.
Thanks!
Shawn

Greg Smith has the market cornered on the used ones

View attachment 1289039

By diagram, Are you wanting the electical part or the mechanical part?

Brendanp did a write up on swaping it out. https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=47;t=58321

However, it might not be the actual sensor. It could be the contacts/springs if it was messed with. They should not have had it out to repair the clutch, but you never know.

Parts 38/40/41
View attachment 1289040
Could you please tell me what #8 is? I just replaced my chain and sprockets and I lost that piece

Back