Gear box woes

alex1300r

Registered
So a few weeks ago I noticed my clutch was slipping, well I thought it was slipping, bike was only getting quarter power if that pulling away in first. Took it to the garage, clutch didn't look too bad but had some signs of wear so I decided to replace the clutch boom problem solved, well maybe not. Last night I started it to go home, engaged first released the clutch and sat there, knocked up into second then back into first and still sat there after doing this again it engaged and off I went, no more problems. It only seems to happen when its cold, if its been sat in the sun then doesn't seem to be a problem. Its a 03 plate so getting a bit older so I'm just wondering if its the bikes way of telling me it wants a blanket or as I fear a gearbox issue. Anyone any clues? As I say its an 03 and a mighty 52,000 miles on the clock! Thanks for any suggestions...

So when you release the clutch when taking off from a stop the bike just revs like it is in neutral? What kind of oil are you using?

I would pull it apart and make sure you got everything in right and nothing is loose. Your first problem sounded like typical worn clutch, usually starts showing itself under high loads like 2nd or 3rd gear roll ons. But will notice in first if worse. Your new problem is odd, so would just take back apart and check things.

Or could be your master cylinder not releasing the fluid. I could see the sun and working the clutch affecting that.

Back