GDPR Changes to the site

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Okay folks.... Some of you might know this some might not.. There is a new EU law going into effect on May 25th that is today..... I have been very quiet for many weeks / months looking for ways to stay in alignment with these new regulations. We have a lot of data that has been uploaded over the years from people all over the world and because of this new regulation we are potentially on the hook to not only delete their data but to send their data to them or someone else they specify. This new regulation is difficult for large businesses to enforce and for a site like ours that pay's it's way by advertising this throws us in a category we frankly just can't afford to be in.

You will see below several articles speaking to the problem, we have so many years of posts from so many different forum systems that adhering to the request of a person in the EU would be just shy of impossible. Because of this I will be blocking all of the EU from our servers this evening. This is an unfortunate situation but because of the murkiness of the requirements and lack of real understanding of the technologies I can't afford to get caught in the middle.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/25/17393766/facebook-google-gdpr-lawsuit-max-schrems-europe

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/business/media/europe-privacy-gdpr-us.html

http://www.sgrlaw.com/client-alerts/disappearing-data-whois-blackout-will-likely-start-may-25-2018/

Wow , that is serious , hope people such as B.Eskedal , 'Inline 5 Busa motor ' builder will still be on the Org ??
Certainly , yours is not an easy ship to steer at best of times Captain , to have to make those hard decisions , the navigation of ever changing laws and potential obstacles surfacing in this hyper drive cyber environment ... Well a dumbass like myself certainly has no idea , and because , happy with his simple lot and pay grade ....:confused:

Well I say "screw the EU!" and I hope everyone else does too. Maybe if enough people in countries that get isolated because of these unreasonable rules complain, they'll be freed. I also have no doubt they will eventually find a way around the restrictions themselves. The internet is a mighty complex thing.

I'm with captain on this. If it's too cumbersome, it's not his fault for dealing with the situation the only way he can.

Sounds like u had a decision to make, and we will stand behind you on whatever you do. Unfortunate for many, but at least the org lives on.
Ty Capt.
Troy

Been seeing all the update privacy policy emails and can't begin to understand the complexities to be navigated. Wow... but thanks for continuing to man the helm!

Unfortunately this is only the beginning. There is going to be a war for control of the internet and with the world fracturing into smaller and smaller parts it's going to make world wide coverage much more difficult. I was wondering what the penalty is for ignoring the rules? If they fine you can't you just not pay it? If they ban you from those markets so what right?

Unfortunately this is only the beginning. There is going to be a war for control of the internet and with the world fracturing into smaller and smaller parts it's going to make world wide coverage much more difficult. I was wondering what the penalty is for ignoring the rules? If they fine you can't you just not pay it? If they ban you from those markets so what right?

A decent article...
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2007530-how-the-eu-can-fine-us-companies-for-violating-gdpr

here is the deal Willie,

1. Because we use Google as the back end for the advertising they do pull analytics which puts me right in the line of fire...
2. IP addresses as private data, the ability of a person to delete all content etc is ridiculous. You can't go participate in a group for years then decide one day that you want to be forgotten.. This is where some personal accountability comes into play.
3. I actually meet the criteria to have a security officer BAAAWWAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA we can barely make the payment on the hosting for the free site much less have a paid GDPR security analyst.
4. Let's just take away all of the fines, penalties or governmental liabilities on this, i don't have the time or money to respond to anyone from those 28 countries to even say no we won't delete your data or pay for an attorney..

The cheapest, easiest way out of this is to just turn EU off......

Far too often do I see forums closing down. Social media has taken over so whatever is needed to keep this forum alive, I'll do my part to support it.

Thanks for everything, Captain.

Back