Gauges frozen

Falkonworks

Registered
Hey everyone I have a 2014 Busa and I just rode it yesterday after doing some work to it and noticed the gauges froze at 30mph, 3kish rpm, F, and operating temp. So they worked when I took off down the road and then stopped working.

Here is some background, I tore all the front bodywork off and did an oil change, swapped all lights for LEDs, and put new tires on the bike. I tested the bike with new tires and nothing else reinstalled except the cluster, and everything functioned correctly. I installed the nose and plugged in the light harness and reinstalled the cluster, everything functioned correctly. I installed the rest of the bodywork and buttoned up EVERYTHING else and rode it, everything functioned correctly. Then I lifted the front wheel off the ground and the only stand option I have to do this sits behind the bottom of the forks basically on the caliper mounts, so when I lift the front I remove the abs sensor just in case. I cleaned the front wheel, dropped it down and forgot to reinstall the abs sensor. I started riding down the road and that’s when I noticed my gauges were frozen.

So my instant thought is poop, I forgot to plug that sensor back in so it basically threw the bike in limp mode or something. So I go home shut it off and reinstall the sensor. I turn the key expecting to see the gauges sweep and reset but they don’t. They stayed frozen even when turned off. I tried unhooking the battery with no success. I unhooked both battery terminals and then touched the terminals together per my dealerships instruction and that did nothing. They said I must have an abs code throwing everything off so I have to bring it to them and have it cleared.

I bring it to them this morning, and they said there are no codes in the history and we tested everything and the bike runs and operates exactly as it should but the gauges just don’t work. The tech asked me to just leave the bike and said he would contact Suzuki and get back to me.

Now to clarify, EVERYTHING on the bike works correctly. The gauges even light up, and show N, and abs light until you get up to like 7 or 9mph or whatever, but the needles just do not move. All exterior lighting functions and abs functions as well.

The tech is stumped and so am I. But I have to believe that SOMEONE else has encountered this issue before. Do any of you guys have any ideas what could be causing this?

I don't have an answer, but for whatever it's worth, the Busa's abs is an add-on, it operates independently from the bike's ecu.
You can also check for codes without going to the dealer.
Sounds more like a short, bad ground, or improperly seated pin.
There have been guage problems like yours posted here before, but they were usually resolved just from disconnecting the battery.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.

I don't have an answer, but for whatever it's worth, the Busa's abs is an add-on, it operates independently from the bike's ecu.
You can also check for codes without going to the dealer.
Sounds more like a short, bad ground, or improperly seated pin.
There have been guage problems like yours posted here before, but they were usually resolved just from disconnecting the battery.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.

I did see some other posts but nothing that really sounded like my specific issue. I’m wondering now if maybe the plug in the back of the gauges wasn’t 100% seated so maybe it worked for a bit but then wiggles loose enough to turn on the lights but not power the needles . I don’t have the bike right now. I think I’ll call and have them check that plug I guess since I assume they have it torn apart right now

Last edited:
Yeah, check the plug connection but I would think the tech would have done that. I've had mine come loose weeks after having worked on it because I didn't get it to snap in correctly.

I have a 2013 cluster if you end up needing one.

Reactions: c10
I have a 2014 that is putting ashes in the tach side. The servo motor is slowly getting worse. The plug on the back is tricky. It has to snap in. I disassembled and clean it every 1000 miles or so.

Dennis what are you looking to get for the 2013 gauge set? I don't expect my 14 set to last much longer as the tach is starting to bounce a few hundred rpms now.

Yeah, check the plug connection but I would think the tech would have done that. I've had mine come loose weeks after having worked on it because I didn't get it to snap in correctly.

I have a 2013 cluster if you end up needing one.

I forgot to come back and reply but I actually fixed it myself at their shop lol. It ended up being the cluster just not plugged in all the way. In a different situation I would’ve just checked it myself before bringing it in but I REALLY thought it was the abs problem. Oh well. I rode it to work today and everything works *yay*

Back