Gauges Dont Sweep

Joe77

Registered
2001 Gen 1 that sat for 2 years. I hooked the battery up and the gauge displays for clock and mileage show gibberish.

Attached picture is with battery connected and key OFF. Turn the key ON, they display the same gibberish.
They also do not sweep with key ON.

Bike will crank and start and run. All fuses check good multimeter.

Any thoughts?

20220724_155254.jpg

Check the connector to the cluster, disconnect and reconnect a few times, spray with contact cleaner on the pins… see how that works
Good idea. Thank you. I pulled the cluster out > connector was snapped in tight. Unplugged and found it clean and dry. Sprayed the connector with contact cleaner > let it dry > reconnected > no change.

While I had the cluster out, I wiggled all the wiring I could to see if the weird gibberish would go away > weird gibberish would not go away.
Only way to make the gibberish go away is to disconnect the battery.

Is the battery new/what is it's condition?
Battery is a couple years old. Has enough CCA to crank, start, and run a few times until i need to put it on the charger.
When the battery is fully charged (after charging it) the gauges do the same thing.

Battery is a couple years old. Has enough CCA to crank, start, and run a few times until i need to put it on the charger.
When the battery is fully charged (after charging it) the gauges do the same thing.

I would contact Scottsbluegages about repairing it.
They handle the mileage legally too.

Back