Gas mileage question

I have been getting 17.9 kms/litre highway riding on my 04 Busa. 30k kms on it and (apparently) has small airbox mod (I haven't checked yet). Check the maths, but I reckon it works out to 50.85 mpg !! Our maximum speed limit here in Queensland Australia is 73 mph( with the occasional squirt to 80 mph...???)

Why is it soo much better ? Is it just the ***** speed we are forced to ride at ??

My mileage varies in direct proportion to wrist angle.:laugh:
I do about 50/50 street to hwy miles and don't drive like it's my daddy's Chevrolet. When I do longer trips and put her in 6th I get over 40. But I like the higher RPM's mostly and usual MPG is about 30-35.
Bubba

I have been getting 17.9 kms/litre highway riding on my 04 Busa. 30k kms on it and (apparently) has small airbox mod (I haven't checked yet). Check the maths, but I reckon it works out to 50.85 mpg !! Our maximum speed limit here in Queensland Australia is 73 mph( with the occasional squirt to 80 mph...???)

Why is it soo much better ? Is it just the ***** speed we are forced to ride at ??
Odds are you probably have full regular gas. Here in the states ethanol blends are going to save the planet, but cost us mileage. I took my bike ti Indiana last summer and they have plain gas there. I went from 37MPG to 45MPG instantly. No other changes and it went right back once I got home.

in order to be getting mpg in the high 40's I have to be pretty timid on the throttle. I would say 37 is normal riding for me. Not too aggressive on the throttle but definitely utilizing the acceleration from time to time. Do you and your buddy go through tires at the same rate also? Maybe let your friend ride your bike and see if he gets the same results as you. Also are you guys traveling over the same type of geography? Hills and mountains are going to be harder on the bike than flat even ground.

Also I can't imagine getting that high of mpg out of the busa over such a long period of time. Maybe for a tank of fuel or two but I guess i just don't have the discipline to not crack her open on a little more frequent basis.

Odds are you probably have full regular gas. Here in the states ethanol blends are going to save the planet, but cost us mileage. I took my bike ti Indiana last summer and they have plain gas there. I went from 37MPG to 45MPG instantly. No other changes and it went right back once I got home.

wow thats a great observation, I never even thought about how the ethanol could be effecting things.

I'm glad you brought that up!
If you set the power mode to: C mode on K8 and later does your highway mileage go up?

Very Good ??.
I personally will never be able to tell you this. I have never used the Mode switch and think they should swap the mode switch to the trip and Odometer reading! How many times have you really needed to swap between engine output as opposed to wanting to see gas and mileage readings ON THE FLY! COME ON DESIGNERS - STEP UP!!
Bubba

Playing at the track: 19 MPG
Spirited riding in the mountains: 40 MPG
Freeway at 70-80 MPH: 42-44

That's was stock and after most of my mods. I haven't calculated it yet since ECU flashing and tuning. It should be a little better on the freeway, but at the cost of less at the track. Can't win them all.

Tire pressure, fuel type, air temperature, slight variations in throttle using, gearing, speed, tire wear, oil type, dirty air filter, are just a few of factors concerning fuel economy.

Eliminate as many factors that are different as possible, and see if you two don't come out closer together.

Blanca the day she rolled off the floor got 25-30 mpgs.
Then with slip ons same thing .
Now full Brocks , PC V, Xtre and dyno tune picking up almost 25 hp the mileage is still the exact same .
Happy that I gained pwr without loss of mpgs but it mileage has sucked since new !
Don't know why .
Maybe just South Florida ?

Ironically, I'm in Florida and my bike would drop to 20's mpg then when I replaced air filter my gsxr 750 increased mpg again. I've already changed a air filter and mileage was under 8000 miles and it must be due again b/c it's dropped. However,I was laid off in November still unemployed so I lost my bike today. 3 months behind and no signs of finding work. Applied for everything. Maybe Florida is just dusty. LOL

With 10k on my 08' I have a PCIII full Yosh 4-2-1 and a K&N air filter and also use synthetic, I average 42 mpg. :happy:

Figured it out today. I shift normally around 3-3.5 and mr zoom zoom shifts at 5-8k normally! That will knock off 5-10 right there!

Back