Gas mileage question

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
Why are you worrying about gas mileage?

My bike gets 37 MPG avg over here in Cali 23k miles stock (as far as performance mods)

killerrudy's gets 48.3 MPG avg. 22k miles stock

both are 2008

We have the same driving style too... i wonder if there might be an underlying problem the only difference is that his bike was bought in Cali, mine wasn't

thoughts?

Last edited:
My 100% stock K8 runs like a champ. Never a miss, smooth running and unbeleivable power. MPG however stinks! I don't beat the bike up, and if it did not run so well I would have thought something was wrong with it. Low to mid thirties on an unabused bike are not real great. Compare it to 17.5 mpg on my 6-cyl Silverado or 20 mpg on my Mitsu Evolution 9 and it still seems a lot better.

Are you guys running the same tires? I lost three MPG of highway mileage when I would go from the Road Attacks to Pilot Power 2CTs.

I also picked up a consistent 1.5-2 MPG when I switched from conventional to synthetic oil.

Finally little differences in the way you ride makes a huge difference. He takes off a little easier, shifts a little smoother. Little things can go a long way.

I had been running Pilog Power 2CTs as well. Now I got a hella deal on Full Bore track tires and am running those. (Lost a little) maybe 2. And I run synthetic blend.

Why are you worrying about gas mileage?

My bike gets 37 MPG avg over here in Cali 23k miles stock (as far as performance mods)

killerrudy's gets 48.3 MPG avg. 22k miles stock

both are 2008

We have the same driving style too... i wonder if there might be an underlying problem the only difference is that his bike was bought in Cali, mine wasn't

thoughts?

I find this interesting. Thats quite a bit of difference from 37 avg to 48.3 avg mpg. When I was looking at 09 Busas last summer one of the things I inquired about at a Cali Suzuki dealer was the Cal emissions and the effect.
I spoke with a service manager who told me that the Cali bikes in addition to the evap canister also have a different part number for ECM. I'm guessing ECM is the same with a different map loaded.

I know from different Cali emissions cars in the past that there have been times where the Cali model would get 1 mpg higher. I also recall a test a motorcycle magazine did a few years back on a particular motorcycle Cali vs 49 stater and the Cali model was faster. They were shocked because usually it was the other way around.

I wonder what the differences are between the k8 Cali vs 49 stater are?
I wouldnt be surprised to see the Cali getting slightly higher gas mileage.
I wonder about seat of the pants throttle response, gas mileage, general drivability.

If the the Cali model got better mpg or had better throttle response perhaps you could simply re flash your ECM.

Blanca the day she rolled off the floor got 25-30 mpgs.
Then with slip ons same thing .
Now full Brocks , PC V, Xtre and dyno tune picking up almost 25 hp the mileage is still the exact same .
Happy that I gained pwr without loss of mpgs but it mileage has sucked since new !
Don't know why .
Maybe just South Florida ?

I never pay attention to the MPG...

All I know is that it empties out WAY TOO QUICK! :rofl:

'08 and have 275 miles on it. I'm breaking it in to the book...I know I know.......5500rpm and lower for now. I have gotten 38ish the 3 times I have checked. I'm happy with it, figure it'll improve when its broken in, but I know I'll be winding the motor out a lot more also. This is mostly 2/3 city 1/3 cruising.

Best 53 (exit to exit whole tank 80 - 90 mph) Lowest was 18 (just filled up and went wide open for about a mile:laugh: )

low to mid 40's on the highway, 35 or so in town, 30 if i'm riding like a hooligan.

my 08 gets 40 - 45 mpg on a regular basis (22,000 miles).... it did get closer to 50mpg when I first got her, then I had her tuned :whistle:

oh ok mines within "spec" just making sure something isnt about to blow up

Back