gas light

dewie

Registered
I was out for a cruise last night and I sucked the tank just about dry. I was wondering if the ECU try's to conserve fuel if the gas light comes on?? at the track I will have the least amount of gas as possible when I run to save on weight. I doubt it cuts the gas out but I was just curious... and board..
ThumbsUp.gif

i find it odd that when my tank is almost empty i can put 2 gallons in and if goes all the way to full. i think my float rod is bent...?
hijack.gif

I was out for a cruise last night and I sucked the tank just about dry. I was wondering if the ECU try's to conserve fuel if the gas light comes on?? at the track I will have the least amount of gas as possible when I run to save on weight. I doubt it cuts the gas out but I was just curious... and board..
ThumbsUp.gif
if the bike is tuned correctly, the only way to "conserve" is to keep the right wrist turned down..

Rev.. the fuel level indicator is just a common wire wound potentiometer on the float assy.. (I would find it HIGHLY unlikely that the rod got bent)

if the gauge is going to full with only 2 gallons (my light comes on after burning 4G) you either have the potentiometer part of the float assy going bad (tested with simple ohm meter, or you could have a gauge issue.. (*my bet is the float assy)

you could test the unit "in the tank" but it would be easier and safer to just take the thing out and test it..

tellin you B', i think the float rod is bent from taking the pump in and out every time i paint the bike
laugh.gif

thanks for the info though. i noticed when at 1/4 full 2 gallons would take it to full. not a problem, but thanks bro
beerchug.gif

awww it could very well be bent but you would have to lean on it pretty good and pretty dramatically... (keeping in mind the gauge reads full/empty, the thing has to move 4 or 5" I think.. so the bend would be pretty big)

Remove the unit from the tank and run it full sweep (slowly), my bet is the gauge "jumps" at one point..

Doubt its bent your big butt is just on the bike !
laugh.gif
Do you have the bike lowered ? that affects it

i know it was "manipulated" a little to go back in once, but i dont think no 4"-5". thanks for the info fellas. and now...back to my freakin' out about the board being down...AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eek2.gif

Doubt its bent your big butt is just on the bike ! Do you have the bike lowered ? that affects it.

Im about to lower my bike two in the front and four in the rear( due to the 2" its going to raise bc of the 7" ext) how much does it affect it?

Back