Gas in key hole?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Rode for about an hour today in slow stop and go traffic by the beaches and boardwalks, then stopped to fill up. I opened the tanks key hole cover and saw more than this. This is after I wiped it up. There was quite a bit of like old gas or oil inside key hole and around it?

What would cause that?

c40d5710.jpg

I always put 4 gallons in. Comes up to bottom of neck.

Probably a worn seal in the filler cap/key assy somewhere. That coupled with the warm temps and expansion of gas where you live is probably letting some seep through. I'd just dissemble it and replace the O-rings.

Yes it smelled like gas/oil. Kid is five but never touches it. It's almost like some sort of pressure or heat from today's ride in traffic bubbled it up out there? Maybe? :dunno:

Probably a worn seal in the filler cap/key assy somewhere. That coupled with the warm temps and expansion of gas where you live is probably letting some seep through. I'd just dissemble it and replace the O-rings.

So there is a seal/o rings there that could need replacing?
I can see the big rubber gasket on lid. Any others?

One time it was really hot outside and the bike was sitting in the sun for awhile... I got on to leave and when I balanced the bike strait up I heard a loud hiss, like air built up and leaked out. My tank was full at the time. Seems weird it would leak if your tank was low. Isn't your bike fairly new?

Well you'll notice that when you open the filler, there is an overflow in the actually lock assy, so it seems to be built with the expectation that gas will get in there. I wouldn't worry about, and just try putting a bit less gas in at fill-ups. You live in a warm climate, so there is going to be a lot of expansion. And double check your breather and overflow lines to ensure they are not blocked.

Need to check your breather tube, and make sure its venting!

Back