Gas Cap Venting On An 06

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
It whines slowly as it vents. I removed the large hose on the bottom right rear of the tank and it still whines thru the cap so I put it back. I ordered two hoses, one large and one smaller but can't see where the smaller one goes...w/o removing the tank. Any experience with this? Is the short tube that the large hose fits onto clogged somehow or is there another vent tube and hose? Where does the smaller one go?

There is a small BB sized steel ball inside the cap itself.
It seals the hole in the internal vent, and it can get clogged too(gummed up and stick).
Obviously air is getting past it, as you can hear it, but wouldn't hurt to clean it.
Been years since I worked on a gen1, so I couldn't tell you anything about the vent hose routing.
Maybe there's a routing diagram in the service manual?? But they usually only tell you everything...except what you need to know.

Can't edit my post above. I sprayed WD40 into the hole in the cap and the one in the hinge just for luck. When it warms up tomorrow I'll listen for it.

Interesting issue.
I am having what looks to be a little bit of fuel leaking from around the cap but it runs forward as if the wind smeared it that way.
I also have an '06

I tried running a coathanger back up into the tank on both of those vent lines and couldn't feel any resistance. I don't know what the deal was. Tried 2 different caps. Nothing seemed to keep the hum from coming and going. It is brutal hot here, dunno if that was adding to it.

I think the WD40 may have done the trick! I sprayed directly into the bottom hole on the underside of the cap several times and blew air into it as well. Haven't had a real hot day yet but so far, no whining.

I tried running a coathanger back up into the tank on both of those vent lines and couldn't feel any resistance. I don't know what the deal was. Tried 2 different caps. Nothing seemed to keep the hum from coming and going. It is brutal hot here, dunno if that was adding to it.

I thought of that but didn't want to puncture a screen or whatever or push it into the tank, in case there was one. Where is the small vent hose located?

The whining has returned! WD40 must have had some effect but after a few days, back to the same off and on whining......Has anyone removed those two screws on the underside of the cap?

Yes
I think the gen1 and 2 caps are the same too.
It's been a while since I've done it, but it's a pretty straight forward job.

Back