Gas cap removal (no-Key) and Fuel Pump

lifguardct

Registered
I have a locked gas cap on a good used tank. I need to remove the lock without damging the tank. I don't care about the lock. I was going to try to pull the lock cylinder with a slide hammer but thought I would check here first.

Also on the Fuel pump, is there a gasket or ? I need to switch the pump from the old tank to the good one.

I think if you remove the bolts holding the entire gas cap assembly, the whole thing comes off which you can then replace with yours with the correct key.

..I think...

I think if you remove the bolts holding the entire gas cap assembly, the whole thing comes off which you can then replace with yours with the correct key.

..I think...
Thats what I thought but... The latch on the cap is still in the tank opening. I may be able to get it with some sliding it around but I don't want to scratch anything. So far no luck.

You can't get it out even if the bolts are out, I realized that when I painted my gas tank. You can call a locksmith and hope they dont rape you on it =/

Drill it out but don't drill all the way through, you just want it big enough for the tumblers to spring out.

call a locksmith , bring it in they will either make a key for it or pickit quick easy chaepest way slide hamme works in an ignition but it aint pretty when your done

I ran into just this situation this week when I bought a painter set. Here is what you do, no locksmith needed. Take the biggest screwdriver you can fit into the key slot, clamp on a pair of visegrips, start turning clockwise, and there you go just like having a key. I'm sure the lock it toast but it's off.
View attachment 1246916

Back