Garmin pressure sensor caps

stratblue

Registered
Hi All.

I've bought some of those super duper Garmin dust caps that link up to the Zumo 590 to monitor the tyre pressures and I've had metal valve stems installed but the guys at the shop have installed those 90 degree stems, will these be ok with the weight of the Garmin caps? Couldn't see anything in the manual about it.

Thanks.

I don't know how big the caps are, but anything bigger than a standard cap, on a stock rubber stem, can and eventually will pull the stem out.
On 90 degree aluminum stems, that isn't an issue, but if you notice any shaking/vibration, especially at high speed, the caps are the cause, and you will need the wheels/tires balanced with those caps on, as their weight will have thrown off the previous balance job.

I don't know how big the caps are, but anything bigger than a standard cap, on a stock rubber stem, can and eventually will pull the stem out.
On 90 degree aluminum stems, that isn't an issue, but if you notice any shaking/vibration, especially at high speed, the caps are the cause, and you will need the wheels/tires balanced with those caps on, as their weight will have thrown off the previous balance job.

Cool, thanks, the guys at the shop gave me some extra weight just in case.

Hi All.

I've bought some of those super duper Garmin dust caps that link up to the Zumo 590 to monitor the tyre pressures and I've had metal valve stems installed but the guys at the shop have installed those 90 degree stems, will these be ok with the weight of the Garmin caps? Couldn't see anything in the manual about it.

Thanks.
that's what I've been rolling with for a few years with no problems. in fact the 90 degree stems are better I'm told. Don't know if I believe it but at high speed the valve stems are pushed out from center of the wheel and let small amounts of air out. with 90 degree stems this does not happen. maybe a myth but no complaints with mine and a lot easier to check pressure

ps: no balance issues. they are very light.

that's what I've been rolling with for a few years with no problems. in fact the 90 degree stems are better I'm told. Don't know if I believe it but at high speed the valve stems are pushed out from center of the wheel and let small amounts of air out. with 90 degree stems this does not happen. maybe a myth but no complaints with mine and a lot easier to check pressure

ps: no balance issues. they are very light.

The 90 degree stems are threaded, so if installed to proper torque with non-permanent thread locker, they aren't going anywhere.
On a rubber stem, a cap with any weight much more than stock, the rotating force of that heavy weight, on the end of the rubber stem, will eventually pull the rubber stem right out of the wheel. Also slowly leaking before it comes completely out.
I've seen it first hand:beerchug:

The 90 degree stems are threaded, so if installed to proper torque with non-permanent thread locker, they aren't going anywhere.
On a rubber stem, a cap with any weight much more than stock, the rotating force of that heavy weight, on the end of the rubber stem, will eventually pull the rubber stem right out of the wheel. Also slowly leaking before it comes completely out.
I've seen it first hand:beerchug:

I haven't seen rubber 90 degree stems? If they are rubber get rid of them whether you use the Garmin TPMS caps or not! It's not a problem on metal stems and the weight is negligible - you won't notice a difference in the balance. I run a Garmin 595 and have been using the TPMS caps on 90 degree stems for years. Very stable, pretty accurate when warm and absolutely no balance issues. I've had dealer monkeys change my tires and balance them many times - no problems. I have stock rims. This is a very nice system and the caps are lighter than the in rim types. I give this setup my highest recommendation, with my only issue being I would like to have the TPMS sit on top of the Garmin display rather than having to look through menus for it.

I don't really have an opinion on straight rubber stems because I'm not sure why anyone would use them on a motorcycle?

Back