Garage is closed,,,

#BullMarket ~ #GarageIsClosed ~ #JustNotWorthIt ~ #THEoRg *

Sorry to hear that my friend . . .
It's a similar situation here with me, I've done a few jobs at home for friends with bikes, but it's a major responsibility whenever you work on someone's bike, what if you leave something loose? what if you miss seeing something that is about to fail and they take it away and then it fails.
I've been ok with that so far.
For the small amount of cash that changes hands, I tend to agree with you, for me it's really not worth the trouble and the risk.
Also I'm at work all day wrenching away on bikes and quads, and really feel like takin' it easy when I get home . . the energy levels just ain't what they used to be lol.
Currently I have a 1991 GSX250F on my lift at home. A friend of a friend's bike.
Started out as a tune up and get it starting more reliably etc , now it's become a major job, needs a hone and new rings, that's at the very least, (49mm pistons with a ring gap in the bore of 25 thou!, cylinder wear is 2 thou) ideally a rebore and new pistons and rings, and I've gotta check all the valves and seats etc.
It had so little compression and vacuum that it would not start without priming the intakes with sprayed fuel.( I've sorted the carbs so I know they are working just fine), but now it's getting expensive to repair, and the bike is really not worth much.
The owner said "Go ahead and repair it, and keep the cost down as much as possible",
leaves me in a crappy position. I can see it's a gamble either way, I'm hoping a re-ring will suffice.
I've never had my own business, always been employed by some company or a friend.
Can you tell us why you are giving it up?

Good to know when enough is enough before you start to hate doing those side jobs.

When a hobby starts to seem like work, it's time to really think if it is a hobby or a job.

I used to always have someone's bike in my garage mostly for simple things...after a while it got so I was sick and tired of seeing these bikes show up.

Back