GAH Stripped bolts at the tank front mount

shadowjack

Registered
I have one of the 2 bolts at the front that has it's loveley hex area nice and perfectly round..... So not that I cannot get the damn thing out where can I get replacement hardware for that one bolt? I am assuming I am going to have to drill it out now... any help would be apperciated. The part #'s for the pieces I got off the service manual are:

09160-06084
09320-09009
09159-06062
09139-06029

Anyone able to decipher this for me to normal parts that I can find or am I going top have to hit the dealer to order these at likeley 5 bux a number at least???

please help!!
smile.gif

Also, as a temporary measure is it safe to just have it bolted down with a single bolt in the interim while waiting?? I just got the bike and like ride it nightly:)

Yeah It should be just fine running with only a single bolt holding the front of your tank down.  As for removing the stripped one, I dunno...First I would tape a few shop toewls to everything surrounding it so you don't scratch anything.  Then myself I would prolly break out the dremel and grind a nice FAT slot across the top of the bolt.  Grab my biggest flathead screwdriver, and crank it off that way...  Just make certain you grind a deep enough slot so you do not strip this one or loose contact with it and really scar your bike.

Thats what I would do, I am certain there are better ways... But drilling it out would be a last resort. Also, take the thing to the dealer, they might have just the thing for it. A replacement bolt from the dealer shouldn't be too expensive though...

Rev

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080737810 -->

Not sure if you fixed your problem yet for getting the bolt out, but if you have access, here's one that worked like a dream for my frame mounted fairing bolt that had the same issue.

I asked around to some mechanic friends and this one was useful and worked, even when I found out the bolt was bent 16deg from normal, it still torqued it out, which a screwdriver may not do ...

Get a set of 16 pt sockets in a range of sizes.  Find the closest size that just doesn't fit over the head (I used a mm size in my frame mount issue, with deep sockets from Craftsman).  Use a hammer to tap (takes some force, but not a lot) to "create" a socket head out of the bolt.  Use your socket wrench to torque out the bolt.

Just my two cents ... and yes, I ended up paying the $3.29 for a new frame fairing bolt for the buggered one.

Cheers.

i belive that craftsman makes an <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>easy out</span> to get damaged screws and such out i would look at something like that before drilling it out

<!--EDIT|jumbo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081191375 -->

Back