GA "Super Speeder" Law

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
As we get ready for the Spring Bash, this might be interesting to note..

Harsher Penalties for ‘Super Speeders’ in Georgia.

With costs continually increasing, many states are finding creative ways to supplement their incomes and fund their budgets. Georgia is no different, and its method of supplementing the state income has been to implement harsher penalties for traffic offenders. One such penalty is a new traffic law called HB610, or the ‘Super Speeder’ law.

The Super Speeder law which became effective January 1, 2010 is aimed at curtailing excessive speeding on the highways and byways of Georgia. As such, anyone caught driving at a speed of 80 mph or more on any road in Georgia, be it highway or otherwise, will be classified as a super speeder and be subject to penalties under the law. Additionally, anyone guilty of driving at a speed of 75 mph on a two-lane road will also be classified as a super speeder and be subject to the penalties outlined therein.

The penalty associated with the offense of breaking the law has been judged by many as being excessive or harsh. This, as anyone found guilty of being a super speeder will be required to pay a state fee of $200.00. This fee is in addition to the cost of the speeding ticket, whatever that cost may be. Additionally, failure to pay this state fee will result in an additional fine of fifty dollars, and the suspension of driving privileges and license.

It must also be noted that the super speeder fine cannot be paid at the same time that the speeding ticket is paid, as the Department of Driver Services has to wait on notification from the relevant officials. These official s have a ten day window, after the initial ticket has been paid, within which to notify the DDS. The DDS then has thirty days in which to inform the offending motorist, by mail of the fee charged under the Super Speeder law. Only then can this fee be paid. As such, it is imperative that drivers who run afoul of the law keep their mailing addresses current, or they may find themselves in even greater trouble.

The state has defended this aggressive move, stating that these stiffer penalties should serve to discourage speeding along its roadways. State legislatures argue that this will lead to a reduction in road accidents and fatalities. Their defense also cites the fact that they will be using the income generated from this new road law to fund their trauma network, which is a system of emergency rooms and ambulance services used as first response for accidents within the state of Georgia. Therefore, not only are they staunching the high incidence of speeding and speed related accidents, but they are also helping to save the lives of those unfortunate enough to be adversely affected by accidents within the state of Georgia.

Since the state department has cited its expected income from the Super Speeder law as being approximately $23 million per year, it is obvious that they expect quite a number of persons to break this new law, and they are ready and waiting to catch them when they do, and make them pay. The question is this; will you be one of those who will have to pay the fine for being a super speeder?

Nope, im NEVER goin to Georgia now. This law will kill the moto-tourist income. If thats a real tour group, pretty sure i made it up, but you get the idea

Maybe. I've never had a large speeding ticket or now that I think of it I don't think I've ever gotten a speeding ticket. But I've been lucky and got lots of warnings. Wonder how it applies to out of state residents?
Posted via Mobile Device

Govt keeping the man down...!!!

jlvn1690l.jpg

rcln162l.jpg

Just another way for a state to make a little money. They should look at other way to make money or to save money.

It seems like when we ride, the Georgia guys usually come up to Tennessee. It's all starting to make sense now...:whistle:

States are trying to supplement their income any way they can. Should stop using "in the name of safety" as excuse. Get ready it's going to come to a state near you soon enough.

why do so many people speed in georgia?

From what I've seen in years past Georgia puts it's money into the main roads more than the beaches...more people seem to travel straight through going back and forth to FL.

Seems to me they are focusing on where they know the money is~!~

Maybe. I've never had a large speeding ticket or now that I think of it I don't think I've ever gotten a speeding ticket. But I've been lucky and got lots of warnings. Wonder how it applies to out of state residents?
Posted via Mobile Device

If past experience serves me right, it means that tons of outta town'ers will be leaving $200 behind in GA. Southern GA is known for targeting folks who aren't going to come back for court to fight tickets. To be fair, I'm certain this is not uncommon.

70 mph speedlimit on the freeways and exceeding that limit by 10 mph seems a little overwhelming.

Golly with 1000 dollar for your first offense here for lifting the wheel
or
2500 for reckless driving with excessive speed..

I would almost drive there to pay the 200 so I could frame it and tell everyone I was a

SUPER SPEEDER.....:laugh:

Crap, I'll be passing through GA after the Bash....... note to self slow the "F" down...... must not twist trottle.....slow

Serious?? 80 MPH is a SUPER SPEEDER? Thats 99.8% of the population of Atlanta!! That's the craziest town I've ever driven in. First time there I was doing 80 in a driving rain storm and people were passing me (all of this at NIGHT!) like I was standing still. I was scared to death I was going to be plowed into by one of those nuts at any second. Couldn't wait to get to Hartsfield Int'l!!

Good information.. I have family and ATL and I normally drive with a stop in Myrtle Beach. Bad news for me.

Back