Future Busa owner

jdsbusa

Registered
Had a unique chance yesterday to take a guy that I supervise at work to pick up his first motorcycle. It's not a Busa...yet :laugh: He'll have to grow into those pants. The ride on the back of my bike was his first time ever on a bike, he did real well not fighting the leaning like a lot of new people do. A couple months ago I talked him into getting a bike and helped him pick out a very nice 500 Ninja...couldn't find any nice Zukes locally and this thing was like new and very reasonably priced so he has an 07' with just 1200 miles on it, full Muzzy exhaust, undertail, led blinkers...the guy that owned it before did some real work on it for only putting that many miles on it. At any rate, he wants to have a Busa someday, but I talked him into starting out with a smart choice and learning the skills necessary to handle a much bigger bike before jumping into something beyond his skills at this point. I gave him a quick intro into how to ride at the dealership, coached him on turning and easing the clutch out and let him do 5 passes in the lot. It started getting real busy at that point and I could tell all the traffic in/out of the lot was rattling his nerves so we went to a quiet neighborhood right behind the dealer. He did have one drop, though it was more of a stopped laydown. He was trying a figure 8 and just got the bike too slow and didn't get his foot out in time to keep the bike from laying too far over to recover. No scratches thankfully, and he was unharmed. Just flooded the carbs which I took it for a quick spin to blow out and a little ding on his ego but other than that he did great. He had an 80 mile trip home and did great the whole way including riding through some heavy traffic in-town. On the way home I pulled up beside him and snapped a pic to share - he's got the expression I'm sure a lot of us had riding our first bike home. He wants to attend next year's spring bash with me so with any luck he'll be ready to hang with the Busa guys. Enjoy!
Enewbike.jpg

Cool. Good job in convincing him to start small and work his way up to a more powerful ride. He'll be better for it. Way to look out for a new rider. Looks like he's really enjoying his new toy!:thumbsup:

Nice! When you can tell someone's grinnin from ear to ear while they're wearing a helmet, you know they're happy!! Now get him some real gear!

Nice! When you can tell someone's grinnin from ear to ear while they're wearing a helmet, you know they're happy!! Now get him some real gear!

Actually he had a nice pair of A* gloves and jacket ordered last Monday and the place emailed him saying they were out of stock. He would have been completely ready to go otherwise. But at least he was wearing a leather jacket, gloves and boots unlike some newbies I've seen leaving the dealer in shorts and sunglasses.

I can relate to the post completely.

(see sig)
Good deal....get that 500 to where you can do anything you want on it and be 100% confident, then move on up! The first bike I bought was back in 1989, a red/black EX500. I had dirt bikes and enduro's that my parents bought when I was a kid but the Kawi was my first street bike. I got it 3 days after graduating, my present to myself I guess. :thumbsup: Had a blast on that for 3 years then started moving up through 600's (CBRF2), a ZX-7, ZX-9 then the Busa.

Back