Funny story about a great deal I got.

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
A past client of mine wanted me to list an investment property that used to be his residence. He had an older Hot tub he bought from a friend that needed money. He bought it about a year ago and it was running fine at his friends house. He paid $200 dollars for it and it had a bran new cover and was in great shape. Well, his wife wanted a newer style one that cost lots of $$$$.... Anyway he asked me if I wanted it, I said sure, the cover was probably worth almost twice that much. I get it home, just the two of us unload it and get it up on my lower deck. I spend the day running a 220 wire to the hot tub and making sure the deck is reinforced enough to handle the weight. Bought a new heavy wire and conduite. Ran the wire from the other side of the house and got the wire to the spot for the hot tub. After crawling through small spots under deck, in attic and other hard to get to locations, I finally get the wire all the way to where I need it. I open up the junction box on the side of the hot tub and
SHOCKED.gif
it is a freakin 110 volt connection. What the crap is this. I have never heard of a hot tub with 110v. I spent all day working on this thing and I have 3 gfci protected, 110 outlets right next to where the hot tub is.

Ok, feel better letting the whole world know what kind of an idiot I am
crazy.gif

Always look over your whole project before getting started. I could have had the thing hooked up for a few dollars and in about 15 minutes.

Most of the hot tubs I have seen are 110. Not trying to make you feel bad bro, it happens to the best of us. I have worked for an electric utility for over 16 years.

Most of the 110's will only opperate the jets or the heater, just not both at the same time.

Congrats on the great deal.

(twotonevert @ Sep. 07 2007,20:04) Most of the hot tubs I have seen are 110. Not trying to make you feel bad bro, it happens to the best of us. I have worked for an electric utility for over 16 years.
Thanks,
bluegrab.gif
tounge.gif

My Jacuzzi tub (in bathroom) is 120 for the motor and another 120 line for optional heater.

What's the amp draw rating on it? I doubt you did all that for nothing as I find it hard to believe you can run a pump and heater off a 15 amp circuit. Being 120 volt it's going to draw some amperage. A dedicated line with #12 leading to a 20 amp breaker would probably be the minimum requirement for a small hot tub.

(vman1300 @ Sep. 07 2007,20:10) Most of the 110's will only opperate the jets or the heater, just not both at the same time.

Hmm, I did not know that. I do not know much about them at all. This one has lots of jets, a jet that moves up and down along your back, two lights, and adjusters for the direction and power above each jet. Timer and temp in back. Looks like a decent tub. It has four seating areas with lots of jets for each person.

I am def not an electrician. Guess I have a prewired 220 for when I decide to upgrade to a nicer hottub.

(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 07 2007,21:25) My Jacuzzi tub (in bathroom) is 120 for the motor and another 120 line for optional heater.

What's the amp draw rating on it?  I doubt you did all that for nothing as I find it hard to believe you can run a pump and heater off a 15 amp circuit.  Being 120 volt it's going to draw some amperage.  A dedicated line with #12 leading to a 20 amp breaker would probably be the minimum requirement for a small hot tub.
It is a 20amp 60 hertz. So maybe this thick azz line I ran was a good thing? Should I wire it to a gfci outlet or run direct to tub from fuse box w/ 20 amp circuit breaker?

(Fate @ Sep. 07 2007,19:35)
(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 07 2007,21:25) My Jacuzzi tub (in bathroom) is 120 for the motor and another 120 line for optional heater.

What's the amp draw rating on it?  I doubt you did all that for nothing as I find it hard to believe you can run a pump and heater off a 15 amp circuit.  Being 120 volt it's going to draw some amperage.  A dedicated line with #12 leading to a 20 amp breaker would probably be the minimum requirement for a small hot tub.
It is a 20amp 60 hertz. So maybe this thick azz line I ran was a good thing? Should I wire it to a gfci outlet or run direct to tub from fuse box w/ 20 amp circuit breaker?
It'll depend on local code. If it's made for outdoor use you'll want to run a liquid tight whip from the hot tub to an outdoor disconnect box attached to the house. Similar to how your central air is hooked up. Without a doubt you'll want a gfci. Most popular breaker manufacturers now offer breakers with gfci protection built in. You may be able to buy an outdoor disconnect box with a 20 amp single pole gfci breaker installed.

Of course make sure you go back and move one wire off the breaker panel bus to neutral so you get 120 and not 240.

No way would that have run off a standard 15 amp circuit, so ya did good.
smile.gif

(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 07 2007,21:56)

It'll depend on local code.  If it's made for outdoor use you'll want to run a liquid tight whip from the hot tub to an outdoor disconnect box attached to the house.  Similar to how your central air is hooked up. Without a doubt you'll want a gfci.  Most popular breaker manufacturers now offer breakers with gfci protection built in.  You may be able to buy an outdoor disconnect box with a 20 amp single pole gfci breaker installed.

Of course make sure you go back and move one wire off the breaker panel bus to neutral so you get 120 and not 240.

smile.gif
Thanks, feel better I did not waste my time. I am out of the city and have no codes where I am so they do not bother me with permits and standards. I will go to lowes and see about a higher amperage gcfi, or fuse. the boxes i saw for hot tubs were 60 amps and $120 dollars
crazy.gif

(Fate @ Sep. 07 2007,22:28)
(vman1300 @ Sep. 07 2007,20:10) Most of the 110's will only opperate the jets or the heater, just not both at the same time.

Hmm, I did not know that. I do not know much about them at all. This one has lots of jets, a jet that moves up and down along your back, two lights, and adjusters for the direction and power above each jet. Timer and temp in back. Looks like a decent tub. It has four seating areas with lots of jets for each person.

I am def not an electrician. Guess I have a prewired 220 for when I decide to upgrade to a nicer hottub.
We love ours, great therapy, especially after a long ride or a trackday.

Sounds like a good tub for very little investment.

(smonroe86 @ Sep. 08 2007,07:45)
lurk.gif
 Great Job we have experts for everything I see here!
I am always surprised by that. There is nothing that you can't find out how to do bike related or otherwise on this board.

Looks like you got a pretty good deal on that tub
beerchug.gif

A little better planning next time on the install thou
tounge.gif

(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 07 2007,21:56)

It'll depend on local code.  If it's made for outdoor use you'll want to run a liquid tight whip from the hot tub to an outdoor disconnect box attached to the house.  Similar to how your central air is hooked up. Without a doubt you'll want a gfci.  Most popular breaker manufacturers now offer breakers with gfci protection built in.  You may be able to buy an outdoor disconnect box with a 20 amp single pole gfci breaker installed.

smile.gif
+1 Good info here. my tub is 220 with a 50 amp GFCI. Some smaller tubs are 110. Check out arctic spas if you buy new. They Rock. My 1st was a Coleman, lasted 10 years then began leaking everywhere. Arctic insulates around outer panels and not on the tub itself, allowing access to fix leaks. Much better design.

Remember when adding breakers not to exceed the capacity of the mains (add up all your breakers)
Its code In cali -- I know the odds of you running everything at once is high, but prob not a bad idea.

I got the tub working but it is not heating, guess heating element is not good. May have to replace that. The jets run really strong though.

(ozz @ Sep. 07 2007,19:27) dont use any electricity   just sit in it and fart
tounge.gif
My ribs are broke from the crash, and it hurts like heck to laugh, and you have to make some comment like that?

jump9.gif
Now thats funny, thanks pal! Pass the Vicodin please!
laugh.gif

Back