Fully Restored Classic '72 Suzuki T350 Rebel pics, For Sale!!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Today at work, one of the guys from Sockburn Ford workshop brought in his beautiful classic T350.
He bought it as a basket case 6 years ago, and has been working on it since then, meticulously restoring and renewing every bit of it!
Fully overhauled engine, runs and looks better than the day it was sold new!
He said he wants to sell it and move on to another project.
I said I would be interested in buying it as an investment, how much?
He said he will get it valued and let me know.
I reckon if he lets it go for $10K, I'm in!
I have a feeling it's worth more, but we will see. . .
So what's your thoughts on old classics like this as an investment?
I know it's a different market in the US, but I'm interested in your thoughts .
the pics say it all :bowdown:

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

As an investment? I'd be leery. The market on vehicles is very volatile, and there's nothing intrinsically valuable about a 47 year old motorcycle. I think of how the hemi powered Mopars were selling for crazy money about 15 years ago, (I personally know a guy who turned down 500k for a 426 powered Coronet) and then one day they weren't anymore. As an investment I think most vehicles are a bad idea.
But..... if you're looking to buy it for something cool to have, and you can afford to lose some value in it, go for it. I'm not suggesting it absolutely will lose money, but I think you have to be prepared for that to occur.
It's a good looking bike, hes put time and money into it, that's for sure!

As an investment? I'd be leery. The market on vehicles is very volatile, and there's nothing intrinsically valuable about a 47 year old motorcycle. I think of how the hemi powered Mopars were selling for crazy money about 15 years ago, (I personally know a guy who turned down 500k for a 426 powered Coronet) and then one day they weren't anymore. As an investment I think most vehicles are a bad idea.
But..... if you're looking to buy it for something cool to have, and you can afford to lose some value in it, go for it. I'm not suggesting it absolutely will lose money, but I think you have to be prepared for that to occur.
It's a good looking bike, hes put time and money into it, that's for sure!
It's quite a different mindset amongst old bike enthusiasts here in NZ, it's the nostalgia factor I guess, most of us had these old bikes when we were teenagers.
In the early 70's, New Zealand was akin to a communist state, in the sense that it was extremely difficult to get a car, there was a shortage of cars here and the used cars were bloody expensive!
Consequently us young fellas could only afford a motorbike as transport, and to have both a car and a bike was unknown territory for the working class guy.
Now, all those young teenagers from 1972 are now my age, 60, and cashed up looking for ways to invest/hide money.
The next generation will not have the nostalgia of those times, so I'm thinking there is a narrow window of capital gain on a bike like this. . . maybe 5-10 years.
Anyway, it's only a dream, and I appreciate your input Mr Brown.

I agree with Mr Brown, as an investment it isn't viable but as a nostalgia it is of value to you and your peers of course.

As the Millennials take over, the value of such things will tank as they have little interest in vintage things.

For instance, my neighbour has the most beautiful Chevelle SS big block and his 25yr old son has zero interest in it (would rather have a tuner car). He has decided to sell it off instead while it still has value but that value is quite a bit lower than it was even 5 yrs ago.

It's quite a different mindset amongst old bike enthusiasts here in NZ, it's the nostalgia factor I guess, most of us had these old bikes when we were teenagers.
In the early 70's, New Zealand was akin to a communist state, in the sense that it was extremely difficult to get a car, there was a shortage of cars here and the used cars were bloody expensive!
Consequently us young fellas could only afford a motorbike as transport, and to have both a car and a bike was unknown territory for the working class guy.
Now, all those young teenagers from 1972 are now my age, 60, and cashed up looking for ways to invest/hide money.
The next generation will not have the nostalgia of those times, so I'm thinking there is a narrow window of capital gain on a bike like this. . . maybe 5-10 years.
Anyway, it's only a dream, and I appreciate your input Mr Brown.
I totally understand the nostalgia factor, I have a similar attachment to bikes from that same period of my life, which is about 10 years after you. Honda's Nighthawk S, Kaw's GPz, and Eliminator, Suzi's GS1150ES, the VMax, etc. Hell, I remember thinking Suzuki's PE line was awesome back when I was a kid.
I think it's a bad practice to invest with your heart, at least if you're dependant on an investment to increase in value. I think there are better ways that are more likely to provide if not a return, at least not a loss.
Buy that thing Kiwi, it's clean....

Buy it if you love it. If it ends up being a good investment all that much better. But you won't love it less. Its really a matter lf what that love is worth if you decide to sell. If we all had crystal balls and knew what was going up in value before we bought it, we'd all be rich and own 35 bikes for fun.

I am always astonished at what becomes valuable and what doesn't. The old 4 cylinder 70s Hondas are gaining in value and popularity these days. But as pointed out. Here today gone tomorrow if the market turns fickle.

I would have never guessed a thing called BitCoin would ever make it to 10K a piece back when they told me about it at $15.

I never imagined the air cooled Porsche's would be bringing the money they do right now.

Buy it for the love of the bike. Whatever that is worth to you.

Hey thanks for the reality check guys, if I could buy it for 7-8K, I may just do it, but it's the old story, you think about it and sleep on it and the appeal wanes somewhat.
I'm a rider first and foremost, and to have that baby sitting there in a 'glass case' as it were, would drive me nuts!
Besides, it would be awful to ride after riding the Busa . . . . :confused:
So lovely to gaze at and dream of earlier days :)

Hey thanks for the reality check guys, if I could buy it for 7-8K, I may just do it, but it's the old story, you think about it and sleep on it and the appeal wanes somewhat.
I'm a rider first and foremost, and to have that baby sitting there in a 'glass case' as it were, would drive me nuts!
Besides, it would be awful to ride after riding the Busa . . . . :confused:
So lovely to gaze at and dream of earlier days :)

As is often the case, we remember what we want.

I loved my 2 strokes but recall the frames flexed like spaghetti, the brakes faded like the sunset and the suspension was all but non-existant....but they went like the dickens and were more fun than a room full of puppies.

It would look good as a living room accent piece though

As is often the case, we remember what we want.

I loved my 2 strokes but recall the frames flexed like spaghetti, the brakes faded like the sunset and the suspension was all but non-existant....but they went like the dickens and were more fun than a room full of puppies.

It would look good as a living room accent piece though
Certainly would, but my living room is already full, lol!

Definitely a nice restoration bike but I do not see it as an investment. Sure, fun to ride but eh. Maybe for 4-5k...

Certainly would, but my living room is already full, lol!
BUY it kiwi... 6500.... CASH... show him the money.... i bought a high risk bike on a whim... not knowing anything about it really.... I just knew that I HAD TO POSSES the bike.... ya roll the dice... nothing ventured nothing gained....

Up here in the great white north assorted Versions of RD's 73 and newer and kawi 500/750's are about the only valuable antiques. There is of course interest in all sorts of vintage bikes. But here that Suzuki would attract a fan but have little investment value. That said. Wait and see what he wants for it. It may be less than you think. If I came across an RD 350 for cheap I'd grab it in a heartbeat

@Mr Brown is correct in a lot of ways, as an investment opportunity it’s not the best option. Hell I don’t really know what is in ol NZ. Here in the states investment is in property, I see many rake in the dough as properly managers, real estate etc.
But then I got to thinking, your not really looking for an investment per say...that is just how your justify your desire to own that fine piece of machinery. We all have that moment where we see something that catches our eyes and have to find a means to justify the purchase. I think you Kiwi truly have a lust for those bikes because of the history you share with them. Why not invest in a fixer upper so you can rebuild it, nurture it, bring it to a new life on your terms. I personally feel you would get more satisfaction out of a turd that you polished with your own hands rather than a diamond mined at the hands of somebody else. That is just my input though I could certainly be wrong but I will say that it is a very nice bike.

@Mr Brown is correct in a lot of ways, as an investment opportunity it’s not the best option. Hell I don’t really know what is in ol NZ. Here in the states investment is in property, I see many rake in the dough as properly managers, real estate etc.
But then I got to thinking, your not really looking for an investment per say...that is just how your justify your desire to own that fine piece of machinery. We all have that moment where we see something that catches our eyes and have to find a means to justify the purchase. I think you Kiwi truly have a lust for those bikes because of the history you share with them. Why not invest in a fixer upper so you can rebuild it, nurture it, bring it to a new life on your terms. I personally feel you would get more satisfaction out of a turd that you polished with your own hands rather than a diamond mined at the hands of somebody else. That is just my input though I could certainly be wrong but I will say that it is a very nice bike.
Thanks mate, you are spot on on so many of your points!
The thing is with buying a turd and polishing it, it ends up being a very expensive turd, the time it takes to source all the bits, and just trying to find that old 'barn find' is near impossible here in the very small market we have in NZ.
When old crappy bikes are advertised for sale here, they want moon beams for them, I sh*t you not!
Anyway, the lust has gone now, just a passing shot of blood to my groin I reckon lol.

Back