Full throttle through 1st & 2nd

How many times full throttle from standing to red line 1st & 2nd gear?

• Almost never

Votes: 173 47.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 103 28.1%
  • Often

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • At least once every ride

Votes: 39 10.7%
  • All the time

Votes: 14 3.8%

• Total voters
Yea Jelly, must be the salt air in the south. LoL.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I go wot all the time and man what a rush. I wanna try my hand in drag racing but still a lil scared to drop the clutch from a dead stop
Posted via Mobile Device

The last thing ya wanna do is drop the clutch unless ya got a bar-ya gotta sliiiiiiiiiide it out.

Your Hayabusa at 7000' above sea level, if not turbocharged or supercharged, produces roughly 75% of the power it would if you lived in, for example, Boston.

Since your bike effectively produces 1000 cc's worth of power (or, if one prefers, produces three cylinder's worth of power instead of four), but hauls around the same amount of mass, it's easy to understand why you don't have any issues going W.O.T.

Our hypothetical rider and Hayabusa in Boston only has to open the throttle 3/4 to produce the same power you do in Los Alamos at w.o.t. I'm not at all surprised by the "massive number of people who don't go WOT" in first or second, but I can understand how your experience with your bike where you live would lead you to write that.

Altitude is a big problem for normally-aspirated engines. Forced induction is the only cure.

Same thing here, but to a smaller degree. Your Hayabusa is producing about 85% of the power it would if you lived in Boston.

interesting info for sure. Good write up... The numbers make perfect sense, too.

Im actually in ABQ right now, moved down here a few months ago, but havent updated my location on the Org... When I moved down here, the bike had been sitting for a while, and I hadnt been able to ride it for a bit... But when I got new tires on her and rode her for the first time here in ABQ, it definitely felt quicker than I remember. I simply attributed it to the time I had spent not in the saddle, but put into perspective, it must have been a mix of time not spent in saddle, plus ~13% extra power if your numbers are correct :laugh: ... nice.

So you're saying I need a turbo, eh? Dont need to convince me!

1st - not so far but 2nd, oh yeah. That rush is why I bought it and keep it.:cheerleader:

With experimentation, the safest method I've found for my setup is to take it up to about 6k in 2nd, get up on the tank and crank the throtle wide open.
The front wheel doesn't come up ('04, lowered, stock gears, 165lb rider. ) It seems like 2 seconds to 110, then let off.

I only do this after I've scouted the stretch of road, made sure no driveways or farm equipment, and that there's a clear view.

interesting info for sure. Good write up... The numbers make perfect sense, too.

Im actually in ABQ right now, moved down here a few months ago, but havent updated my location on the Org... When I moved down here, the bike had been sitting for a while, and I hadnt been able to ride it for a bit... But when I got new tires on her and rode her for the first time here in ABQ, it definitely felt quicker than I remember. I simply attributed it to the time I had spent not in the saddle, but put into perspective, it must have been a mix of time not spent in saddle, plus ~13% extra power if your numbers are correct :laugh: ... nice.

So you're saying I need a turbo, eh? Dont need to convince me!

A turbo will definitely solve the altitude sickness. :laugh:

Here's where my experience with this comes from...

I used to fly a couple of different types of twin-engine airplanes for a company I worked for earlier in my career. One was a Beechcraft Baron 58 with two 285 horsepower engines. Loved that airplane...it handled like a sports car, and there weren't many piston twins out there that could outrun it - so long as one was below 7000 feet above sea level.

The other airplane type was a Piper Chieftain - with two 350 horsepower turbocharged engines. The turbochargers would allow the engines to produce the full rated 350 horsepower all the way up to and beyond the altitudes I was flying at. Flying this airplane was not nearly as much fun as the Baron because it lumbered along like a school bus. It wasn't quite as fast as the Baron either...so long as conditions didn't warrant climbing above 7000 feet or so.

When it came to flight in icing conditions though, the Chieftain was my choice hands down. Beginning at about 7000 feet, the altitude induced power loss in the Baron would allow the Chieftain, which was still capable of producing 700 horsepower thanks to the turbochargers, to begin to pull away. And climb rate at 8000 feet and above was more than twice as much with the Chieftain - again thanks to the turbochargers allowing the engines to produce full rated power while the normally aspirated Baron could only pump out about 70% of that 570 total rated horsepower at that altitude.

When one is dependent on climb rate to get through a layer of ice-laden clouds quickly, normally aspirated engines can be a significant handicap.

What sucks even more is looking out the window at the ice on the wings during an instrument approach and knowing that the only option you have left at that point is to land because there's no way the airplane will climb with the load of ice you're carrying if you happen to pop out of the clouds above the airport and find a snowplow working to clear the runway staring at you.

From first hand experience I know that a thousand foot change in altitude is equal to about a 3% power loss for a normally-aspirated engine. I've spent several thousand hours watching the physics work against my efforts to get from point A to B as quickly, safely, and efficiently as possible.

The Baron I referenced above will only produce 75% sea level rated power when at 7000 feet above sea level. By the time you get to 12,000 feet or so that power output is closer to 60% of rated. This is with throttles wide open and props set for maximum r.p.m.

I know this got a little off the original topic, but I thought it worth sharing.

Yep elevation is a real fun sucker. At sea level my busa is downright brutal in the acceleration department....at 5000ft and up its barely adequate. I don't know how you high altitude guys can stand it. I would HAVE to have a turbo up there :laugh:

I've never ridden at low altitude so you cant miss what you haven't experienced. I definitely feel a road trip coming on though:whistle:

The only time I use Full Throttle is @ the track when im drag racing. Where I live there isnt enuff room on the streets to do something like that, unless you wanna get upclose and personal with the cops and the local ambulance squad...... and besides I find that just 1/2 throttle is enuff to blow the doors off of any car or cycle that dares to challenge me..:whistle:

F=MA: wow... great write-up, again. Interesting stuff for sure! :thumbsup:

What do you do for a living, if you dont mind me asking?

Im studying chemical engineering right now, but I honestly cant help but think every now and then that I might be happiest switching my career to piloting. Ive always wanted to be a pilot... I just happened to decide that I would become an engineer, then work towards my pilots license and hopefully buy a private plane to fly around...

man this thread is getting so off topic! :laugh:

Im studying chemical engineering right now, but I honestly cant help but think every now and then that I might be happiest switching my career to piloting. Ive always wanted to be a pilot... I just happened to decide that I would become an engineer, then work towards my pilots license and hopefully buy a private plane to fly around...

Better patent something cause that's gonna take some serious cash. One of the doc's I work with has a plane and the maintenance and overall expenses is ridiculous. I thought my diving habit was bad

PM sent, to prevent going further off topic.

In that case don't test ride a turbo or you may find yourself making that call to RCC for one of his kits after you feel the power and hear the shredder spool up. :laugh:
As Mega knows, riding a good running turbo busa is mind-blowing the first time you do it...............and very, very, VERY addicting :laugh: Like he said don't do it unless you have the money to spend, because the burning desire to own one will never ever leave you :thumbsup:

Finish that 4 year BS in Chem Eng, and try and throw in another couple if you can. Then get into manufacturing, either consumer goods or industrial with a fortune 500 company. If you do that right, one day you will buy that private plane in cash. :laugh:

Just make sure you use the education and build further on it, I know, because I am old and know the route.

I am around 250 with gear on.. 2009 Stock just clicked 3K on the odometer. Full throttle in first around 7 She will start rising I can get around 9500 till I hit 2nd then she stays up till around 90-95. The key is to be balanced and wheel straight as an arrow. No better feeling then carrying the front wheel 6-8 inches off the ground under power:thumbsup:

Sorry! Still in the break in period,.............but I sure want to! :laugh:

How many miles you got so far? I think I put on 1000 miles the first week I had mine. LOL!!! I couldnt get off it. I rode it like it was stolen after the 1000 mile marker and she seems to run better each time I romp on it.
3000 miles rear tire is down to the tread limiters (no burn outs). I expect about 2200-2500 out of the next.

Back