Fuggin Harley!

racerV

Did you say something?
Donating Member
Registered
A month and a half ago I purchased an 07 FLHTC at the request of my wife.  She says she loves the Busa but wants to be more comfortable when we ride long distances.  Good reason I guess...wanna keep the wifey happy right?  Anyways, I barely have 700 miles on the thing and I start getting this terrible grinding sound when I hit the starter.  I have a poker run I am attending the next day and I'm thinking to myself, this isn't good with all the start and stoping I will be doing.  So I take it to the dealership in Cincinatti and they tell me that the ring gear is missing 3 teeth and that they have to keep the bike.  So I am like, I pay $24K for a bike and already have problems like this?  Anyways, I tell them I want something to ride in the meantime...they offer me an 883 sportster.  I'm 6'6" tall and I say "are you fugging serious"?  I talked thm into giving me a ride home and made sure everyone in the dealership knew that I would be riding my "Jap Bike".  I am really having buyers remorse with this P.O.S.  It has no power and weighs a ton.  God...what have I done?
rock.gif
?

laugh.gif

Sorry...I don't mean that...I don't know, I kind of wished you'd opted for a spin on the 883 and take some pics...now that would be a good reason to laugh!

It's under warranty, correct?

You have just bought a bike that would be "For Sale". H-D is junk, but I thought you knew this before you bought one.

Sorry to hear. Perhaps you should trade it on an M109R?
tounge.gif

SHOCKED.gif
an 883 for a 6'6" guy OMG I think I would have told those dudes to loosen up that dew rag and to put that HD you bought back on the floor an sell it to someone else and also proceeded to tell them you will be going next store to the JAP bike shop and buying a new M109. A BIKE THAT WORKS!!!!!
laugh.gif

An 883 what were they thinking  
all_coholic.gif

Let is happen a few more times and I'll bet the wife won't be too happy and then things will really get bad!
biggrin.gif

Whew.........for less than $24K you could have bought a FJR1300 or even a Goldwing and then the wife AND your wallet would have both been happy!?

Somehow HD + long rides = comfort just never seems to end up as a balanced equation. Most folks I know that have tried this scenario, several on this board, have either gone to some type of Japanese or Euro cruiser, or wish they had. I guess the HD is more a lifestyle than a hardware choice.

The Goldwing seems like the waY to go if you do a lot of distance riding . More comfort , options and power for less than 24 k .

(omslaw @ Apr. 23 2007,11:07) Sorry to hear.  Perhaps you should trade it on an M109R?  
tounge.gif
M109R....NOW THAT'S A SEXY BEAST !!!!!!

YA BABY YA !!!!.......YA !!!!!

2713793637.jpg

I gave up on H-D back in 2000 rode'em all my life, went with VICTORY instead and have never regretted it, I've owned 2 of them so far and neither one of them ever spent a minute in the shop ever. My current Vic is an '04 Kingpin Tour best cruiser I ever owned...

Here is an '07 model 100cu. 6 speed. My '04 has a 92cu. 5 speed and no trunk/tour pack.

Kingpin_Toure.jpg

I know...I know...I know....I know.....it is a stupid status thing and I could have bought any bike, in fact, they have a Ducati 999R for $24K sitting on the floor but it's not a Harley. Rubbing it in isn't helping me feel better either. I guess I will just have to deal with it. Good thing I have a warranty. Still don't have a bike though
sad.gif
They tell me they are gonna deliver it to my house atleast.

RacerV,

Do they have any kind of lemon laws in your area? not sure if it would qualify, but in my book with only 700 miles I would see if there is a legal way to force the dealership to take it back and give you your money back.

Then like everyone else said, buy another type of more reliable cruiser.

Also, did you ever think of "cruising out" the Busa? with some good after marlet seats for the busa? lots of things you can do to the busa to make it more comfortable to ride for rider and passenger.

Just a thought. but back to the original issue, I would be ticked if I were you and check into lemon laws.

Good luck

Not trying to rub it in bro, just stating the facts as I see'em. Something better in American Cruisers has finally come along and it's name is Victory...Hope everything works out for you anyway cause that's some messed up shid for a new bike.

(Hy_Rolr @ Apr. 23 2007,14:30) Not trying to rub it in bro, just stating the facts as I see'em. Something better in American Cruisers has finally come along and it's name is Victory...Hope everything works out for you anyway cause that's some messed up shid for a new bike.
+1

That will be the next bike, guaranteed. After the wife gets a new one of course;)

The grinding noise was the $19 gear on the starter shaft saying goodbye. They will tell you it is caused by weakly charged battery not throwing it far enough out and all kinds of other BS. Here's the permanant fix... The starter shaft gear is brass form the factory, Have them replace it with a steel one. Have them install an aftermarket ring gear to replace the Factory one. Also have them insure the starter is in straight and true. Had this exact problem on my 2000 FXST with big motor upgrades and that's what it took to fix it Of course i found this out AFTER I upgraded to a high torque aftermarket starter.
Dunno if your dealership will install aftermarket parts or not but that's what was needed for me and i suspect the same for you. Some dealerships think H-D parts are the shiznit and others live in the real world.

OR ...

look into the lemon law thing and let them keep "fixing" it and the third time she goes down file the necessary papers and get ALL your money back!

Whatever you do, Good Luck
beerchug.gif

As a side note , There's an 03 FLHTCUI in my garage right now. It's for sale. When it's gone there will be a Goldwing in it's place.

Back