Fuel Tank Corrosion... Any ideas?

Popie

Registered
I recently picked up an 04 Busa. Only 520 miles on it. Looks like it was right off the show room floor... But it's not...
Not sure what the real story is. And it doesn't much matter. But this bike was driven a few miles. Then just sat. It was not stored in anyway really. I knew that up front. Knew there would be issues. And I picked this up fairly cheap.
I have been through most everything. And only have one more item to deal with. The fuel tank... It has some small spots of light corrosion up around the top. Down by the pump looks pretty bad. This tank like the rest of the bike is cosmetically perfect. Not a scratch on it. And I want to use it if I can.
I know there are cleaners and coatings available. I have never used any. Thought I'd ask for some suggestions. Maybe someone has had good luck taking care of the same issue before. I know this is a bad situation. But I at least want to make a try at making this tank useable... Any help will be appreciated...

Welcome to the oRg, someone will be along shortly that can answer your question.

another option would be to hit up ebay and see if you can find a tank that matches, might save you alot of time and hassle

something i used once awhile ago
Evapo-Rust Super Safe Rust Remover

race & repair 086.jpg

race & repair 148.jpg

Sounds like you made a good find. :welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Go to advanced search.

Don't forget fuel lines and injectors.

Sand, water and shake the crap out of it!

Remove the full pump, plug that whole with something, can't recall what a friend used, then add about a 1/2 gallon of water and a couple handfuls of sand, even a few small pebbles won't hurt depending how bad the rust is. Swirl it around and shake it up good to break the rust free. Be sure to rinse it 5-6 times, ya definitely don't want and sand or debris gettin to your filter.

I know this sounds odd, but I promise, it works. A buddies TLR sat for 2 years

before he got it, he went through a few filters before tryin this and hasn't had an issue since. :thumbsup:

ForumRunner_20121116_142826.png

ForumRunner_20121116_142826.png

The gravel and pebble work really well. I have used this trick several times. But you do have to rinse the tank really, really good to be sure you get all of the rust and dirt out. You can also swing by your local radiator shop and see if they can clean and seal the tank on the inside. I have done this once or twice as well. Good luck and post up some pictures when you finish.

Thanks for the welcoming messages. And for all the good information for taking care of the tank corrosion. Gives me a lot to look at. And several options...
Thanks for all the help.
It's much appreciated!

I used five gallons of metal rescue in my tank at the end of the summer. It worked GREAT, much better than evapo rust did! Previous to that, I had a radiator shop put in a liner/sealer a few years ago, but it started to peel off. I used acetone from Home Depot to dissolve the liner, then filled the tank up with Metal Rescue. I left it for 24 hours at 75 degrees. All is well.

Back