Fuel pumps... Bosch vs AEM

mcantar

Registered
So it seems the Bosch 69420 is the pump of choice, and I found one for a pretty good price. I also found an AEM in-tank pump that flows 320LPH and is a drop in fit for around the same cost.
Is the Bosch worth the extra work, having to modify the housing and all? Or is the AEM reliable enough to be worth it.

Great question. I think my pump is on its last legs after more than 30k miles. I think it's time and I was wondering if there was a good drop in replacement versus the Bosch. Subscribing.

Keep in mind if you use the in tank pump, you'll still need to run an external regulator, and modify the tank for a return line. At that point it's just easier to just run the external Bosch.

Is an upgraded pump even necessary with <4psi of boost on a street bike (as in not running WOT all the time on the strip/track)? Or could one do the return conversion and a regulator and have enough fuel?

I thought the Bosch 69420 is installed inside the tank

It is if you are using the factory fuel pump hanger and regulator. I use one in mine but I also have a completely gutted filter which necessitates an eternal filter.

I thought the Bosch 69420 is installed inside the tank

You're right. I just saw Bosch and automatically defulted to thinking 044.

Is an upgraded pump even necessary with <4psi of boost on a street bike (as in not running WOT all the time on the strip/track)? Or could one do the return conversion and a regulator and have enough fuel?

I've never tried, but for what a fuel pump costs vs what a motor costs, I'd opt for the fuel instead of finding out with a melted engine.

Fair point BCP.
So, how would an external pump make things easier? As I understand it, either way you need to set up a return to the tank, so it would seem that running an external pump instead of using the factory setup with an upgraded pump would just be that much more work.

When running an external pump after gutting the factory pump and regulator out of the tank, you drill the pump sump and put a fitting in it. That's your new feed. Then the factory feed is now your return. Much simpler then welding a return bung in to your tank, and safer then using the tank vent as a return.

Just did a bunch of them the other week like I just mentioned.

image.jpg

That makes sense. So can the 69420 be ran as an external, or do I need to look for a different pump to use?

In that's an in tank pump. An authentic walbro 255 will get the job done under 450whp, or go for broke and get the Bosch 044 pump and never have to worry about a pump again.

Back