Fuel pump - do they just stop working?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
Seems after being so good making sure the busa battery was fully charged all winter, I seem to have a lack of the little whining (fuel pump priming as I'm told) when I flick the key on. Would explain why she just tries and tries to start but alas no joy. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try to fix it or if I just need to take it to a dealer to get it fixed? I'd rather not spend a ton of money if I can avoid it but unless its fairly straight forward I dont have a ton of time for the DYI program these days :(

Thanks!

Buy an' aftermarket bosch or similar. The swap out is easy. Before doing that,I'd check the relay,fuse,etc. And yes,Zuk...they do just stop working.

RSD.

Have you check to see if you are even getting power to the pump?

I have a Gen II but if my kill switch is in the off position by pump won't prime. Possibly another interlock issue. Just like RSD said they do just stop working, it is electronic and they can quit some times with no warning.

Draining the tank was the toughest part. Removing, replacing, and reinstalling took no time at all. Got the new pump/motor off EBay for I think $60. 2003

great...thanks for mentioning it...now im getting fuel starvation issues at higher throttle and rpms...guess i need to drain and clean (i have always kept full tanks as i drive it all summer and soon as weather turns cold tank is full with stable in it)

great...thanks for mentioning it...now im getting fuel starvation issues at higher throttle and rpms...guess i need to drain and clean (i have always kept full tanks as i drive it all summer and soon as weather turns cold tank is full with stable in it)

Chris,you could do a flow test first,(I would),just to make sure its not just a dirty filter,dirty injectors,kinked line etc. Give you a chance to see what hits the bucket too. I like to use a clean white bucket,makes spotting the krap easier to see.

RSD.

Back