Fuel problem 2000

cbibb

Registered
I recently acquired a 200 model and it was having the dreaded starter clutch issues. I got a starter clutch ( and sleeve) and installed them. While the starter clutch was on order I took the fuel pump apart and removed the horribly dirty filter and installed an in line filter. Once I got the new starter clutch, I tried to start the bike (after priming the fuel pump a bunch of times) and it started right up. It ran for a few minutes (but would not rev up right), I could not stab the gas, I had to slowly give it gas. After a few minutes of this it just died and would not start back up. I sprayed some starting fluid in the airbox and it will fire right off for a second or two. I took the fuel pump back off and plugged it in and turned on the key, the pump was priming but nothing came out. I took the pump itself out of the housing and hooked it up and put my finger on the inlet and it hardly had any "suction" to it at all. Is my pump shot?? Is there a way to test it for sure? What about testing the regulator?? Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

don't know if the prob still persists but if so....
Did you clean the little strainer below the fuel pressure regulator?
If not, try it cos it will be dirty as well and so the pressure can't be regulated so no fuel will be pushed.

Bye
D1

If you actually took the "PUMP" apart, then I'd say the pump isn't good anymore. Most electronic fuel pump do not like being disassembled with a proper rebuild kit being installed. I do not honestly know if the busa pump is "rebuildable", but I think not. If u had the pump out separate from the bike, put power to it, heard it run but would not draw, she's shot.

I have a low mileage pump I removed from my 2000 model I will sell you. 1999 & 2000 models are the only years that have the external pump.

$250 Shipped

They are $450 new from Ron Ayers.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/classifieds-section/122999-1999-2000-fuel-pump-sale.html

Jeremy%20266.jpg

Jeremy%20267.jpg

Last edited:
So thats what they look like, never seen one b4. Now I see how they could be completely disassembled.

Hi,

don't know if the prob still persists but if so....
Did you clean the little strainer below the fuel pressure regulator?
If not, try it cos it will be dirty as well and so the pressure can't be regulated so no fuel will be pushed.

Bye
D1

+ 1 there are three filters in all another in the bottom of the housing once you pulled the pump

your pump is not shot it can be taken a part and put back togehter as many times as you need to. If you took out the filter you had to take off the cap to the filter and the tube that runs into the filter cap. It must be with the flat side to the o ring facing out away from the filter. Make shure the cone shaped side is towards were the filter use to be. If the tube is backwards it will not make any presure. If the pump happens to be shot dont buy a whole new one there are rebuild kits for a lot cheaper. Be shure to take off the regulator and check the screen under it as well if it is dirty the regulator will not work and the pump will give you no pressure.

Btw, check the tank if it's rusted inside. Only the 99's had probs with it. Get out the fuel gage sending unit and see what you'll find in the remaining hole....

Bye
D1

Thanks guys, I ended up getting a great deal on a walbro 255 pump/aeromotive reg/gauge so I went completely aftermarket. The stock pump still works fine though.

Just a quick question about the fuel pump. I have just stripped and rebuilt my starter motor and in the process had to remove the foam thing that was wrapped around the fuel pump, is it ok to leave the fuel pump uncovered or should i wrap it up in some foam again. I read somewhere it stops heat from the engine, is this true?

Cheers
Mark

Back