Fuel plumbing and regulator placement?

dubious

Registered
Can the regulator be placed inline on the fuel supply between the pump and injector rails, bleeding pressure off through the return port?
Is it better to have it set up as a side stream, meaning a T in the supply line, with it located on the open end of the T off the supply, blowing down extra supply fuel pressure through the return port to the tank

Has anyone had any first hand experience with both ?

I ask , as it would be much easier for me to run the supply through the regulator due to space constraints, wheras the T in the supply with the regulator bleeding down pressure as a side stream takes up alot of space and extra fittings I really don't have room for method

How will it react if put inline?

Oh yeah, its an Aeromotive 1:1 referenced regulator BTW,

Thanks, :thumbsup:
Lyle

Last edited:
the down side to a fuel system configuration like this would be the response time from the regulator. You're setting this system up as a dead headed system which I wouldn't recommend to anyone esp with a turbo system. They need lots of fuel on quick demand. You can always test things out and see if your loosing fuel pressure when you hit the boost.

simple, supply to pump, pump to regulator, out of regulator (regulated outlet) to fuel rail, and lastly the bleed to the tank return... don't try and reinvent the wheel just do what works.

the more common method is supply -> pump -> fuel rail or rails - > regulator -> return to supply.

the outlet of the regulator is the return line to the supply.

Last edited:
here's the most common setups for the fuel system. The only difference I've seen with the Busa running secondaries to reduce some of the plumbing is instead of running to seperate lines to each rail to just run the supply line to one end of the first rail and then another line from the other end of the first rail to the second rail. Then from the second rail to the regulator and then back to the tank.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdf/11106.pdf

the more common method is supply -> pump -> fuel rail or rails - > regulator -> return to supply.

the outlet of the regulator is the return line to the supply.

THIS is correct. Most automotive manufacturers have done it like this from the beginning. And what's a Busa?? A motorcycle with a car engine between your legs!:laugh:

My secondaries do not have a return, and I don't want to drill another hole in the plenum....ahem sorry... its a zx14! :laugh::poke:???:whistle:

I will have to run the regulator off the supply, bleeding down the feed to the injectors.
In the end I thin its the same thing, just a shorter circuit, and less hose/ fittings.

BTW, for anyone contemplating push lock, or twist lock... I learned the hard way, twist lock fittings are long and difficult to work with on the confines of a bike...
I would never do push lock again.

My secondaries do not have a return, and I don't want to drill another hole in the plenum....ahem sorry... its a zx14! :laugh::poke:???:whistle:

I will have to run the regulator off the supply, bleeding down the feed to the injectors.
In the end I thin its the same thing, just a shorter circuit, and less hose/ fittings.

BTW, for anyone contemplating push lock, or twist lock... I learned the hard way, twist lock fittings are long and difficult to work with on the confines of a bike...
I would never do push lock again.

This is the way it needs to be done if you are regulating the pressure to the secondaries. Here goes!

Tank>>>inline pump>>>Tee (one leg of T to fuel rail,...other to secondaries)>>>from opposite end of fuel rail>>> regulator>>>>return to tank

You will always have the same pressure on the rail as the secondaries,..........and the additional plumbing is a tee fitting and piece of high pressure hose. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Probably should have mentioned,.........fuel filter after the tank. It will have less tendency to leak because it's gravity fed,.......and not high pressure. BE SURE your inline pump is lower than the tank outlet. IF not,......you will have fuel starvation problems.........especially when it's hot. :banghead:

Thanks guys, I got all the other stuff lined out.
I have 2 filters, a pre pump 100 micron, and a 35 micron post pump.

Thank you

Oh, and I meant I would never do twist lock on a bike again... what a PITA!

I know a while back Draco posted pics of his finished fuel plumbing setup. It clearly showed how things were routed. You may have to do so searching on the board to find them.

Back