Fuel map and WideBand

milesbm

Donating Member
Registered
I am thinking about getting a WideBand Commander for the busa. Because I have a slider clutch and wheelie bars, there are very few times that I am not at WOT.

Would I be able to make my own "custom" map with the A/F download from the WideBand Commander and just adjust the map I got with my pipe to adjust the ratio at 100% throttle, or am I forgetting something?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can. I'm doing something similar but using a different manufacturers product.

You can monitor rpm, throttle position (TPS), and A/F. Then you can adjust your Power Commander map as needed.

Here is a Capture of one of my older logs to give you an idea of what a logger will do.

I'm hiding everything but AFR, TPS, GPS, RPM in this capture

1) RPM Black
2) TPS Dark Blue  
3) AFR Purple
4) GPS Red   Resolution change so that voltage = gear

on edit: Sorry about the way the board software changes up the file.... Clicking on it will make it look better. Right click save and open in your photo viewer or get the actual file here

Link to file

LogCapture.jpg

note -> don't worry about the a/f spikes during the shift/ignition kill. Everyone has that. As Prof shows what a nice flt a/f should look.

btw... Is the first secdtion your launch?
would luv to see a log from the first run you made with an origianl loaded map vs a nice tuned map.
beerchug.gif

btw... Is the first secdtion your launch?
would luv to see a log from the first run you made with an origianl loaded map vs a nice tuned map.
beerchug.gif
Yes, I made that capture earlier in the year to show someone how I was launching the bike. The first line represents the launch. Target launch RPM about 4-4.5K. You can see the rpm peaks up to about 8500 but TPS is still about 60%. You can tell I'm holding the throttle about 60% and progressively feeding it (releasing) the clutch. The clutch is all the way out at the bottom rpm peak just before the 1:7.5 (1 Minute 7.5 seconds but about 2.1 seconds in the run) mark. At about 2 tenths later the throttle is at 100%. Today that time is in the 1.9-2.0 second range to 100%.

The last line shows the 5th gear shift just past the quarter mile at about 10.8 seconds. I;m guessing that would have been about a 10.20-10.30 pass from the time when I would have captured it. I'm about 10,000 10,100 rpm at the lights in 4th gear.

I'm not sure I have a capture with it the A/F in too bad a shape. I'll have to look at my logs. I had to go back and smooth it up after doing the small air box mod but the 1/4 mile passes was not effected that bad. It was still pretty smooth in the 7-10k range, but tapered up toward the lean side. That capture is with a stock box. As tuned it was in the 13.8-14.7 range and I incorrectly went too rich with it targeting 12.3. A/F is now in 13-13.1:1 range.

It is hard to tell at this resolution but you can still see the difference between gears the Busa ECU makes. It is getting progressively richer with each gear change even though at 100-140mph ram air should be coming into play. With the USB accessory hub, I intend to offset the map base on gear selection to correct it.

I'll try to look through some logs on laptop or logger for some more examples in the next couple of days. That is just all I had handy.

PS Stock wheelbase on the bike if anyone else out there is wondering why so long to 100% throttle and clutch.

looks really good! sounds like you've got the gearing all sorted out. You can see where the clutch grabs (rpm drop and then you hit full throttle). I'm curious if you keep the same throttle position at launch to be consistant or is would the front lift to much if you feed in more to keep the revs up? or maybe it's just to save the clutches a bit more?

I've always wondered how well an internet map really is with the A/F in real world conditions. It would be interesting to see. (if you can dig up an old log).

btw look slike it was a good run to me. NA busa's like the 13.1-2:1 range. 12.3 is pig rich
beerchug.gif

A bit of both. As a bracket racer, consistency is more important to me than the low numbers. But in the back of your mind you are always trying to go faster. I ran a few nines early in the year but was not as consistent. Step back a bit for more consistency and it cost me a tenth. The last race most of my passes were in the 9.94-9.97 range. I had one race where 5 of my 6 qualifying passes were within .012 (10.17 area). Lift is a big issue and I feel I have more control using both the throttle and the clutch. I've showed off my oil pan a couple of time and I'm not real fond of the feeling. It has worked for me so I haven't made major changes. Some pin the throttle and only feed the clutch I'm just not as comfortable or consistent doing it.

The bike was tuned when I bought it but the focus seemed to be more on 100% throttle than anything. It has been fun trying to get it better with the wideband and logger. The first thing I did after getting it operational was clean up the idle. You could smell the difference in the garage.

I guess I cold throw the DJ map in it and make a pass and take a look"¦.. I'm afraid it may run better than the one I fine-tuned/built lol.

Seems like yo're pretty damn consistant!
bowdown.gif
I remember back when that someone told me it may be a better approach to drop the clutch and get on the throttle vs. feathering it to keep the revs up.
The times things get light in the front end tells me it's a good launch but when things go up to the sky it's never fun, unless it's intentional.
beerchug.gif

Do you just try and run your number or watch the other guy and stay ahead/run 'em down?

I think I would only be impressed if a stock DJ map was as good as your tuned one.

Thanks for your help. Looks like you already did what I plan too.

How far after the pipe y down into 1 pipe should the sensor be placed in the exhaust?

Also, I have a 2-step and thought about leaning out the mixture around the launch point to keep the proper A/F ratio and to keep from loading up the cylinders at the starting line (around 5,000 rpm. Stall of the slider is at 5,500rpm). Do you think I would run into any problems doing that since the only time I will be at that RPM is on the starting line when on the two step or when i rev past it doing the burn out?

Thanks for your help.  Looks like you already did what I plan too.

How far after the pipe y down into 1 pipe should the sensor be placed in the exhaust?

Also, I have a 2-step and thought about leaning out the mixture around the launch point to keep the proper A/F ratio and to keep from loading up the cylinders at the starting line (around 5,000 rpm.  Stall of the slider is at 5,500rpm).  Do you think I would run into any problems doing that since the only time I will be at that RPM is on the starting line when on the two step or when i rev past it doing the burn out?
My sensor is right behind my rearset pointing straight up. However it is a tight fit and there is not much room for error when welding the bung.

I wish I could tell you on the two step. I don't know. Mine is in the box and I plan on installing it in the next few weeks. I'll be doing a log. I haven't heard anybody complain about loading the cylinders but that does not mean it isn't happening. It shouldn't hurt to lean it a bit there but I wouldn't go far.

Back