Fuel line fell off ... CHECK YOUR CLAMP!

Yes, it's what your fuel lines attach to on the bottom of your tank.

Most bikes would have a knob on petcock(fuel valve) but the Busa doesn't. But like I said, that knobless dial can be turned to shut off fuel flow.

Try it....unless you want to wear a little fuel when you trying to plug it off?

It's pretty easy to get to...

Frank,

Thanks for the tip. Saw the lever-less petcock staring me in the face as I attempted to stop the fuel. Never occurred to me that it could be shut off.

I'll try it this weekend when I replace the remaining three spring clamps with worm-gears.

The nut that you speak of was not insalled at the factory, this is something that the bike setup person at your dealership does.
Or in this case, did not do properly.

read some old post about getting new bike I suggest blue loctite on the clutch and brake lever nuts.
Sorry I havent posted the set-up book it is taking some time to post,will soon.

The fuel line didn't fall off - it was pulled off! I know because I did the same thing on my Y2K in January. There is very little slack on that particular line when raising the tank. If you raise the tank any farther than is absolutely neccessary in order to install the stand/bar then that line will be pulled off. A worm gear clamp will hold better but that line will still be stretched and possibly torn if the tank is raised much higher than needed to install the stand. I lost at least a couple of gallons trying to reattach when it happened to me. I was wearing some casual dress shoes - had just come home from work and the bottom of my shoes began to MELT due to the super unleaded fuel I was standing in!

Maybe the change in the partnumbers for both the fuel line and the fuel return line that I noticed on the OEM parts fiche for the 2000 model mean that Suzuki shortened these lines in an effort to prevent possible kinking when tank is lowered again???

Take 2 steps forward, take 1 step back ... LOL!

You guys all got more balls than me. I wasnt ever going to post the fact that this happened to me and I pissed about 3 gallons of fuel all over everything. I was crestfallen. You gotta be real careful when you raise that tank. Now my concern is the rubber foam that covers the fuel pump and the bottom of the gas tank will be destroyed by the gas soaking it. Should I order new ones now?

i lost half a tank while putting on the tank bra .... stuck one finger onto the tank nipple and gripped the hose with the other hand and began praying no one passing by threw a cig butt!!! I somehow managed to reach for the plugs located at the trunk. After that i was frantically looking for that damn clip!!
By the time everything was installed back the paint of the parking lot was begining to melt and fade. Now i get to park on a white spotted parking lot .. so cool!

Terence

Your petcocks can be shut off!

There is no handle or lever but if you take a screw driver and push the dial part thats closiest to the dial stop, you can tap it until it turns off the fuel flow.
It is hard enough to need help with a rubber hammer to get started.

*If you ever need to remove your tank, remember this Tip.*

I had far more fuel dumping out of the disconnected HOSE end than the tank nipple. *&%#@$%**#&$ hose. Of course, the stupid spring gets completely in the way of you trying to finger cap the leaking hose.

Frank Adams,
the manual does not say anything about tapping anything closed ... could you be more specific and identify the dial-stop part ... when I tried to remove the tank, those plugs were a real mess ...
thanks

i think what Frank meant was the fuel valve situated just under the fuel tank

Terence

Was looking forward all day to installing Intuitive Racing's quick release tank hardware. Got home, removed the OEM bolts, raised and propped the tank and WHOOSH... 5 gallons of fuel began pouring out on the garage floor.

The fuel line had popped off the bottom of the tank. Managed to plug the tank outlet so I could wrestle the fuel line protector spring back far enough to find the end of the fuel line. Temporarily plugged it and reinstalled using a real worm gear clamp.

Apparently the clamp was improperly installed at the factory. Totally hosed down the wire harnesses with fuel. I'm pissed!

First Suzuki I've owned. Clutch lever pivot pin nut fell off in the first 100 miles (couldn't see that it was gone). Pin backed out and clutch lever almost left the bike. Now the fuel line falls off at 500 miles - while parked (thank you God).

I'm having a hard time getting comfortable runnin' this thing up in the triple digits...

I'm not alone I see. This just happened to me two days ago. I keep my bike sitting on a peice of carpeting in the garage that soaked up the mess. The thing that kills me is, most of the other bikes I've had made it able to shut off the fuel flow. On the 'busa you have to clamp the fuel lines.

Oh well, live and learn!!

Do not reroute those hoses or you may end up with fuelstarvation.
As for a recall I have had several 00 tanks up and never had a hose pop(now I am jinxed)
Maybe when you do it all day long you just have a feel for it.

Back