fuel injection vs. carburation on the busas.......

BusaHaya402

Registered
if the busas are indeed fuel injected (mines an 05) why in the fucc is there a choke lever on the left handlebar (by the brights and turn signals)

makes no damn sense to me...........

It's not a choke lever. It just keeps the throttle opened a crack (0.1 mm) more than at idle, thus giving you fast idle at startup. Nothing more.

Lift the tank, look where the "choke" cable goes, play with it a bit, and you will see how it works, and the screw which lets you adjust it.

Some folks adjust it in such a way that it fast idles at pretty high rpms (like 4000), and then use the fast idle to cruise at highway speeds. That's the cheapest cruise control mod available.
smile.gif

__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120839502 -->

It's not a choke lever. It just keeps the throttle opened a crack (0.1 mm) more than at idle, thus giving you fast idle at startup. Nothing more.

Lift the tank, look where the "choke" cable goes, play with it a bit, and you will see how it works, and the screw which lets you adjust it.

Some folks adjust it in such a way that it fast idles at pretty high rpms (like 4000), and then use the fast idle to cruise at highway speeds. That's the cheapest cruise control mod available.
smile.gif

__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>
Ha! That's too cool, I'll be doing that right quick!

regarding the HUMP MOD, i read through that whole thing and didnt understand it one bit.............

is it because i dont have my hump yet??

I use the choke every time I start up the bike to increase oil pressure, I start it, wait a few seconds then flip it on. I run it like this for about 30 seconds to a few minutes.

Download the service manual and spend a weekend becoming more familiar with your bike.

I'm not saying you have to disassemble anything...just look at all the components and learn what they do.  This will help you later on when you have to troubleshoot problems.
cool.gif

BTW:  The fuel injectors are mounted in the throttle bodies.  If you lift you tank you'll be able to see them.  Remove the screws on the sides of the seat, remove the seat, remove the two screws at the front end of the tank, get the prop-rod out from the trunk area under the passenger seat, and now you can raise your tank.  The offset end of the prop-rod goes into the steering head pivot shaft. The other end goes through one of the holes in the tank mounting flange.

Have fun
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120866548 -->

I use the choke every time I start up the bike to increase oil pressure, I start it, wait a few seconds then flip it on. I run it like this for about 30 seconds to a few minutes.
Did you know the slower you idle your engine for the first 60 seconds the longer the engine life? Fast idle on start up is not a good thing!

Warm it up at a slow idle. Increase the idle only after the engine begins to warm up. I never leave the driveway until my engine has heated to the point the fan kicks in to cool it. When the water temp reaches 220º I know the oil is warm enough to lubricate properly.

I posted this in another thread and figured it might help clear up some confusion...

CHOKE:

A "choke" takes the throttle plates (butterflies) and closes them down to a predetermined setting. This causes the intake path to be blocked off/restricted. When the starter is energized, the rotation of the engine causes a stong vacuum to be drawn within the intake manifold. In a carbuerated engine, this cause more fuel to be drawn through the idle circuit needle valves and thus richens the air/fuel mixture. This allows for more fuel to be ingested than normal, and when the air is cold and dense outside, it provides enough fuel to support combustion.

FAST IDLE

A fast idle is merely a cable that is connected to the throttle shaft with a manual slide adjuster mounter on the left handlebar. When this slide adjuster is rotated, it pulls the cable, which rotates the throttle shaft until the tab contacts the fast idle adjustment stop screw. This actually OPENS the throttle plate a small amount which allows more air to enter the engine. Now for the big difference...

As the throttle shaft rotates open, the throttle position sensor sends a signal to the ECM/ECU which tell it that the throttle is being applied. This now looks for a value on a data table (Fuel Map) to balance the injector firing rate, ignition timing, and the air flow. The air flow signal is sent from the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure). The ECM/ECU adjusts each one of these variables until they are all balanced and within tolerance of the Fuel Map.

Did you know the slower you idle your engine for the first 60 seconds the longer the engine life? Fast idle on start up is not a good thing!

Warm it up at a slow idle. Increase the idle only after the engine begins to warm up. I never leave the driveway until my engine has heated to the point the fan kicks in to cool it. When the water temp reaches 220º I know the oil is warm enough to lubricate properly.
But Idling too long is harmful as well, parts get too hot without any cooling air.

Ideally you want to idle just long enough to move the temp needle to just above cold, then start riding gently warming the bike on the move as nature intended...
smile.gif

why can't you have a choke if it is FI?
Why would you need to manually richen the mixture, which is what a choke does, when your ECM controls it? Fuel injected cars don't have chokes so why should F.I. bikes?
Some of Honda's FI bikes do have an actual choke it is electrical not manual but yep it enrichen the motor as well as raises the idle, cute little chockes plugers with little tiny linkage

smile.gif

__
Igor
Brilliant
beerchug.gif
egitarre77.gif
super.gif

Fast idle sucks! Our FI system sucks. TBI is outdated. You don't see fast idle switches on other new Suzukis. They have EFI, and that is what should be on the next Busa.

why can't you have a choke if it is FI?
Why would you need to manually richen the mixture, which is what a choke does, when your ECM controls it? Fuel injected cars don't have chokes so why should F.I. bikes?
Some of Honda's FI bikes do have an actual choke it is electrical not manual but yep it enrichen the motor as well as raises the idle, cute little chockes plugers with little tiny linkage
Thanks for the lesson, teach!
umnik.gif

Learn somethin new each day.........

Back