Fuel gauge accuracy?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I did some searching, but found nothing that would suggest a viable solution to getting the fuel gauge to be more accurate. I know you all know what I am talking about. I am talking the fact that the gauge stays pegged out at full and then drops like a rock in the ocean within a short mile range.

I do like most of the others, keep an eye on my mileage from filling up, but thought that if some one had managed to fix the gauge, or modify the float at all, they would like to share.

I ride 120 miles round trip to work, so having a steady/accurate fuel gauge would be nice and something that I am very interested in.

during a long ride, I was able to get a fairly accurate idea of how long a full tank of gas (California model) will last: 170 miles on average before the low fuel light comes on. So I fill up at 170 miles regardless of what the gauge says.

My Gen I isn't even close. It'll go 100 kms before the needle even moves. Another 100 kms to an indicated 1/2 tank. Then another 100 kms to light on.

Just like airplane fuel guages, I've never had a bike that had a fuel guage that I could depend on. So, every 180 miles I fill up. Even though, my average of 43 mpg will probably take me 230 miles before it stops (NOT A GOOD IDEA :idea: ) :laugh:

Back