Fuel gauge accuracy..??

Whiskeyjack

Registered
I have an O8 busa.The needle dos'nt move much from full ,then suddenly it seems to drop to half.Admittedly I not watching the guage movement all the time.
Is it a know bug with Busa's.??
I'm getting 170 mile till it reaches the start of the red on the guage.I think I would get possibly anther 20 miles till dry.Which seems quite good.Would that be about right..???

Sry if this is in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the design of the tank. It gets more narrow towards the bottom of the tank and holds less fuel than the top and the float falls faster.

Im not absolutely sure but thats all I can think of.

You should probably have a little more than 20 miles left. Is the light coming on or is just reaching the red? I know if I ride like an old lady then I can get over 200 miles out of my 07 Busa.

i think all of them do that to some degree...once the warning light comes on, you should have about 1 gallon left in the tank...at an easy 50-55 mph, i can get over 50 mpg so i should be able to get 250-275 miles per tank (never actually tried that one)...at 75-80 on the interstate, i am getting about 44 mpg so i can easily run 2 1/2 hours before stopping to fuel up

of course, not all bikes get the same mileage so please check what your bike gets before getting out in the middle of nowhere and running out of fuel

if you think about it the top half of the gas tank has much more gas in it then the bottom half thats why it looks as if your full for a longer period of time, then it suddenly drops...i get about 32 miles after the red light comes on, tested that theory twice:whistle:

The float in the tank is restricted from actually reaching the top of the tank. Thus the fuel guage stays at full until the level reaches the float and it begins to drop. I have found the best way to adjust the float (For me that is) is to have the guage read half way when the fuel is actually half way. I have adjusted the float in most every busa I have owned. Most will be as the OP says, it stays on full for a long time then just seems to drop like a rock to the red.

My 08 does pretty much the same thing but I watch my miles and go from that also. When it gets close to the red line I be huntin me a gas station.

Fuel Guage Accuracy :rofl: . I've NEVER had a bike with an accurate guage. Just ride in different types of areas (City then Hwy) , fill up and see how much mpg you get. Then use your trip meter to accurately know how far you can go. Example: Hwy I go 180 to 200 miles on either the Interstate (70 or 75 mph out here) or State Hwys (65 mph out here) :thumbsup:

On mine, anything over 1/2 tank, the gauge will read full. Once that needle starts its freefall, I know I'm under half. Have checked both mileage and amount of fuel that fits comfortably in tank after needs starts to move. Fairly accurate for me.

Gauges aren't the issue it's the sending unit or design. My '06 was pretty good for a fuel gauge but my '08 does the same as described goes forever on full and thin drops like a rock.

My '05 tends to stay on full until I've ridden about 60 miles, then it starts to drop. I've not tested how many miles I can go on the tank. I'll leave that to the rebels out here!

None of my gauges work except the temp so I am good:laugh: As long as it runs good it can still put a smile on your face from to ear:laugh: be happy

Back