Fuel filter mod

I did this mod yesterday and had a little disaster. one of the connectors on the fuel line cracked right at the 90 to the barbs not while I was cutting the old line off, the mod was easy to do, so it needs to be replaced and they are on back order from suzuki, it will be 3 weeks before they can get one in, anybody know of a replacement or a work around? maybe an automotive connector that would fit?
Aren't those hoses like $15 used on eBay with those fittings attached to it? I remember looking into this while ago.

Aren't those hoses like $15 used on eBay with those fittings attached to it? I remember looking into this while ago.
Yes but it will still take probably a couple of weeks to get to Canada. I have a ride planned for next weekend that I'll have to cancel if I can't figure out a fix before then.

Ok. Didn't see your location at first, sorry.! I hope you can get the parts quick.
I found a connector that fits well at an auto parts store. Seems to be holding pressure without leeking but I left my lines to long so they kink when I drop the tank. I'll shorten them tomorrow and should all be good. Fired up and ran at least.

Mod worked great but I didn't like the way the fuel lines were sitting/bending when I first installed it so I bought a smaller filter and a couple of unicoils to ease the bend in the lines. pretty happy with it now. The pictures shows the mod before I zapped it to the wiring harness.

filter mod.jpg

Hi, thank you for a detailed modification, very much appreciated.
I'm planning on doing it to my bike this winter, are there any changes you would make now after having it for awhile?
Also never heard of a unicoil until today, looks like a winner.
Thanks again.

I just sold that bike but for the two months after the mod it was great. Pretty sure I'll do it the same way on the new bike.

i pulled the pump tonight and cleaned off the filter screen. didn't help. looks like i am going to drill a hole and run an external filter.
it does have 50,000mi on it. guessing the filter is plugged.
if that doesn't work, could it be the injectors and or plugs?

An Update re Inline Fuel Filter Modification from chrisjp procedure.
Been a long winter in Southern Alberta 2017/2018 and finally got to ride the Toy at the end of April 2018.
I had reset the valves, checked the starter and did the fuel filter mods and no way to really test it until April 24th, 26, 27 and 28th. So far all is very good, no leaks and runs sweetly. I notice no performance difference, which is good as it means I'm looking after the machine properly. Lot's of power and now I can be assured of an easily changed fuel filter annually. Thanks chrisjp for the detailed and photographed upgrade. Very much appreciated. Rick

I'm doing this mod and drilled the hole into the filter housing. What was the other mod you did where you opened the filter housing? With all the rust I had in the system, I think it would be better to gut it out. Is the plastic ABS, so it can be welded back together?

After lurking in the background and just sapping up all the knowledge shared here I have finally decided to post my first post.
I did this mod lastnight after some months of high RPM hesitation on my 08 gen2 when riding. I wasn't able to test it last night so will do so this evening but the mod was successfully done and the bike is starting and idling with no leaks. I was in shock at the amount of gunky coffee like substance coming out of the filter after back washing! How the hell was that thing even working is a mystery to me...
ChrisJP, thank you in advance for a very innovative solution to a very common and annoying busa issue.
If ever you're in the Caribbean, Trinidad specifically the beers are on me.:beerchug:

much better setup than the factory filter. is there anyway to make this work before the pump? any debris that has clogged either the oem filter or an aftermarket add on filter has passed through the pump.

After lurking in the background and just sapping up all the knowledge shared here I have finally decided to post my first post.
I did this mod lastnight after some months of high RPM hesitation on my 08 gen2 when riding. I wasn't able to test it last night so will do so this evening but the mod was successfully done and the bike is starting and idling with no leaks. I was in shock at the amount of gunky coffee like substance coming out of the filter after back washing! How the hell was that thing even working is a mystery to me...
ChrisJP, thank you in advance for a very innovative solution to a very common and annoying busa issue.
If ever you're in the Caribbean, Trinidad specifically the beers are on me.:beerchug:

got a chance to test the bike earlier on........ front all up in the air, tach swinging to 10+ rpm in no time at all.....
Why the hell didn't i see this post some months earlier????
This is a must for our bikes people:race:

I've been reading through this thread. Forgive me if I missed it, what is this mod for? Thanks in advance for info.

Thanks. I understand now. I saw the second method which illustrates the actual oem filter. So is that second hole supposed to bypass the filter or just add another avenue of flow? My current fuel pump setup died, waiting on a replacement from ebay. I may have to do the "hole" mod to the next one.

Thanks. I understand now. I saw the second method which illustrates the actual oem filter. So is that second hole supposed to bypass the filter or just add another avenue of flow? My current fuel pump setup died, waiting on a replacement from ebay. I may have to do the "hole" mod to the next one.
I’ve never done this myself, but you are just “gutting” the OEM filter and adding the external one to do the OEM’s job.

I understand the one about gutting the filter. The first, easiest mod was to drill a 2nd hole. What does the 2nd hole do? Does it somehow route the gas around the filter? I have a barely new used unit coming and I'm considering doing the "hole" mod since I don't know what state the filter is in. Thanks in advance.

Nevermind but thanks for the info. I deconstructed my currently non-working assembly and saw exactly what the hole mod does. I drilled the hole and could see exactly where it enters the internal filter assembly.
Having an external filter is a must because the hole mod completely bypasses the internal filter. I will be performing this mod on the newer fuel assembly once it gets here. Excellent information from chrisjp.

November 1, 2018: An Update re Inline Fuel Filter Modification from chrisjp procedure.
I removed the inline filter and opened it today, no foreign contamination at all.
Short season this year, only 1600 miles on the bike and the filter.
Will probably not change it next winter or until a lot more miles.
A good modification and glad I saw it on this site, thanks to all who have made suggestions as well as chrisjp.

November 1, 2018 002.JPG

Back