Fuel filter mod

i took out the fuel pump assembly and this is what it looked like after 2 years... i am convinced now...yes i was leaking fuel back into the fuel tank and i lost fuel pressure by splitting the filter assembly... DO THE DRILL METHOD.. now i also was able to put a USED gen2 fuel filter onto a gen 1 pump assembly (with very minor modification)

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

the only modification i had to do was here. the cap that covered my gen 1 fuel pump power line connections, when you slip it into the gen 2 fuel pump assembly... the tips and the wires would wedge under the fuel pressure regulator on the assembly. so i carefully trimmed down the tips 1/4 and inch. then there was more than enough room to seat the pump into the filter assembly and not pinch the wires..

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

here is the pump seated fully into the gen 2 filter assembly after pump wire cap trimming.

IMG_0073.jpg

here is also a little trick i did when drilling the hole with a 11/32 drill bit. i wrapped the upper part of the bit with painter's tape so it would not rub and destroy the seal surface...

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

here is the hole carefully drilled ... make sure you do the angle to hit only the filter chamber... before and after

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

reassemble and put back in tank and put in a in line filter as suggested....all done!!

Thanks for your detailed instructions and photos! I successfully did this mod on my 08 not too long ago, so far it's doing just fine!

So did anyone feel a difference on top end with on a gen 2 bike?
I have an 08, so the older the bike is, it's best to take the assembly apart and clean it out at least.
Is it better to replace the sock or pre screen it's called on the fuel pump or just clean it up? '

the sock is not the filter... its a pre filter. the regular filter (in the mold injected form) is the actual filter.. it does get clogged up and will slow fuel flow after 2 years or so...

Just about to give this mod a try.
Just a few questions that has me a little confused though.
I can see the squarish filter in you photos, ( what sort of looks like a tea bag) but can't locate the other filter you have mentioned, is this on the top of the pump ( tea bag filter on the bottom) I see what looks like a white plastic thing in the top of the pump but doesn't want to come out.

did you put that teabag filter back on when reinstalling, ( silly question i know, but guessing you did?

Is by drilling this hole, just bypassing the fuel from going inside that injected mold?

Any help is appreciated,
Cheers.

Last edited:
The internal filter is inside the black plastic body that fits over the fuel pump and fuel regulator. Only way to access it is to cut open the top of it. The hole that is drilled goes directly into where the filter is located. This mod is not intended to remove the internal filter as that is a totally different mod altogether as described earlier about cutting it open. The white piece is the clip that holds the regulator from popping out.

The "teabag" filter is the pre-filter for the fuel pump. You can still find these online from various locations. I would recommend changing that out while you are there.

Thanks for the reply.
I might have typed it up wrong, i found that white flat piece with a dome on it that is clipped on, removed that but as you mentioned, it wasn't the filter.
I am looking for what some are calling a fine mesh filter, is there one?
Or is there really only the 1 filter i need to worry about is that teabag one?

May i ask what the idea of drilling the hole is for?
I have miss read it somewhere, as we are still using the teabag one if i am correct?
Sounds like a good mod to do, just like to know what is dose or eliminates.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention the part i was referring to, o r at least try.
The pump removed out of the white plastic housing,
The part of the pump that pushes up into the white plastic housing,
in the very end of this part you can see a very small white bit of plastic that sort of looks like a filter, not the white part that sits on the collar and acts like a spacer.
Hope that explains it better, this part doesn't seam to come out, not sure if it is a filter or not.
Sorry if all that is a tad confusing, just really want to know how many filters there are on this unit to clean without cutting anything.
Cheers.

I answered your question in your other post!
The white plastic part is the FUEL FILTER!
The Tea bag, is just a screen!
For you info if you look them up om a parts site, the filter is well over $200!

ok gear heads... here is an update.. .i pulled my pump assembly out of the tank and i made a mistake in my routing of the wiring. i could not remove the assembly without pinching and stripping the wire... second pic is fixed..

17799377_10206610396617427_1270576683227208863_n.jpg

17634322_10206610536820932_2893931425724010852_n.jpg

ok... couldn't sleep last night... just wrapping them in electrical tape wont do... pulled it back out and heat shrinked the wires... routed them so they wont get pinched again...

17796138_10206621038283462_5029061798517651970_n.jpg

17799465_10206621040123508_4888682831360971297_n.jpg

I did this mod yesterday and had a little disaster. one of the connectors on the fuel line cracked right at the 90 to the barbs not while I was cutting the old line off, the mod was easy to do, so it needs to be replaced and they are on back order from suzuki, it will be 3 weeks before they can get one in, anybody know of a replacement or a work around? maybe an automotive connector that would fit?

Back