Fuel Economy on my new truck

Sorry a 5.7 liter engine is a 5.7 liter displacing engine period.

A four cycle 5.7l engine with 9:1 compression works on the following principles.
Intake - Compression - Combustion - Exhaust.
1. Downward motion of one (of eight) piston inside a cylinder with an open valve results in 1/8 of 5700cc's being drawn into the void created by that action. One eighth of 5700 equals 712.5 cc's.
2. Upward motion of one piston in a cylinder with a closed valve results in compression of the air fuel mixture to 1/9 the volume of air drawn into the cylinder. Thus 712.5/9=79.16cc. This results in the mixture being heated to support rapid combustion.
3. A spark is lit just before the piston reaches TDC (Top Dead Center). This lights the mixture and sets off the chemical reaction between the Hydrogen and Oxygen Molecules found in the air fuel mixture. Combustion propels the piston downwards in a cylinder with close valves.
4. The piston rises in the cylinder with an open exhaust valve/s and expels the spent air charge.

A two cycle engine accomplishes the above functions through a different design.
The valves in a 4 stroke are replaced with intake and exhaust ports in a 2 stroke found in the cylinder walls. The ports are arranged so as to allow the cylinders to intake and exhaust in a manner to support combustion.
Right, except 4 of those cylinders aren't taking in any air, on any given revolution. Exhaust cycle doesn't count towards virtual displacement.
tounge.gif

What I meant to say is that a 5.7 doesn't displace 5,700 EVERY revolution, it does so EVERY OTHER revolution.

I tend to confuse others fairly often with my poor word choices.
wow.gif
laugh.gif

BTW.. my cover is not just a single hard shell, it is actually a fold-a-cover.

I like it way more than a single hard shell. it has four panels that fold up, still has a locking mechanism.

I can fold it up and stow it in the truck for when I want to take my Busa, or it folds back to one panel if you have a large load you need to take.

Anyway, here is a link to the cover I have

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog....tandard

I like it way more than a single hard shell. it has four panels that fold up, still has a locking mechanism.

I can fold it up and stow it in the truck for when I want to take my Busa, or it folds back to one panel if you have a large load you need to take.

Thought about another folding cover but I purchased a trailer, single solid hard top is for security this time. Plus I really like the wing and dont want to take it off to haul something.

Here is a contrasting picture of the truck to mama's new toy...

TruckCar.JPG

Thought about another folding cover but I purchased a trailer, single solid hard top is for security this time. Plus I really like the wing and dont want to take it off to haul something.

Here is a contrasting picture of the truck to mama's new toy...
I like the color on the truck.... what kind of car is that? what kind of mpg does it it?

My wife wants me to get a smaller care for going back and forth to work

Right, except 4 of those cylinders aren't taking in any air, on any given revolution.  Exhaust cycle doesn't count towards virtual displacement.  
tounge.gif

What I meant to say is that a 5.7 doesn't displace 5,700 EVERY revolution, it does so EVERY OTHER revolution.

I tend to confuse others fairly often with my poor word choices.
wow.gif

laugh.gif
I would like you to quote which textbook, page, paragraph and line you read that in.

If you can't quote which one you read that in please illustrate your point with a very detailed explanation.

One crankshaft revolution starts with Piston number one at TDC on the intake stroke and finishes in the same position after filling, compressing, combusting and exhausting all eight cylinders. You can watch the distributor's rotor to have secondary proof of such action.

Isn't this thread about a Ram's fuel economy?

I would like you to quote which textbook, page, paragraph and line you read that in.

If you can't quote which one you read that in please illustrate your point with a very detailed explanation.

One crankshaft revolution starts with Piston number one at TDC on the intake stroke and finishes in the same position after filling, compressing, combusting and exhausting all eight cylinders. You can watch the distributor's rotor to have secondary proof of such action.

Isn't this thread about a Ram's fuel economy?
Ram and fuel economy don't belong in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.  IMO, of course.  
laugh.gif

I can't quote a textbook, because my father taught me the workings of motors.

But the way I see a 4 cycle engine is, the piston goes down, taking in air, goes up, compressing the mixture, and ending the first revolution.

The mixture combusts, forcing the piston down, and then the piston comes back up, forcing the spent charge out of the exhaust port, and when it gets to TDC, the whole process repeats.  That's 2 separate revolutions, last time I checked.

8 cylinders / 2 revs for each cylinder = 4 total combustions per revolution.

Of course, it could be that I've had a little too much schnapps this weekend, and have no idea what I'm talking about.  
40__s.gif

drinka.gif

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126398440 -->

Ok, enough of this fuel economy ####, I'm sure there are more pressing details about thrasherfox's new truck that we are ALL waiting to hear.

<marquee>THRASHERFOX, HAVE YOU POPPED ANY WHEELIES WITH THAT HEMI YET??</marquee>

jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126501821 -->

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

Ok, enough of this fuel economy ####, I'm sure there are more pressing details about thrasherfox's new truck that we are ALL waiting to hear.

<marquee>THRASHERFOX, HAVE YOU POPPED ANY WHEELIES WITH THAT HEMI YET??</marquee>

jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
LOL -

No.. but I might have a problem...

I might lose the truck....

My wife and my sister in-law took it out the other day and they said guys were honking and waving at them.

Then the wife said something about me driving the van all the time and her driving the truck all the time.....

wow.gif
down.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

Back