Fuel Economy on my new truck

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Hey All…

I just purchased a new Dodge Hemi Sport.

I will post pics later since that is the appropriate thing to do.

However wanted to get this out there while I am doing work on this thing.

The dealership told me the two biggest things I can do to increase fuel economy is go with a K&N Cold Air induction serviceable air filter and a Flow master exhaust.

I went to the local auto part store and they did not have a K&N Filter, but they sold me what they said was the equivelant, a FRAM Air HOG high air flow filter.

I also dropped the truck off to have an after market exhaust put on (only $200.00 for a flow master exhaust system. Way cheaper than bike exhaust systems)

Anyway, is the FRAM Air Hog the same as the K&N Cold air induction filter? Or is there a difference and if so how much?

Is there anything else I can do besides the air filter and the exhaust system to increase fuel economy? (other than leaving it parked in my drive way
biggrin.gif
)

Congrats on the truck TFox
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
I always thought that more airflow=more gas to burn
rock.gif
Course I could be wrong...

beerchug.gif

Congrats on the truck TFox
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
I always thought that more airflow=more gas to burn
rock.gif
Course I could be wrong...
Thanks..

Dont know... Just know what the dealership told me.

I will find out tomorrow when I go to work.

This morning, 20 minute drive to work. Set cruise control at 70 and I was getting about 17.6 mpg

I will see what I get tomorrow....

beerchug.gif

Run max air pressure. Not so much that you take out the centers...just put 'em up there aways.
Just did this on my superduty, put 50 in the front (diesel) and 38 rear. I am about to do a 5 day runner (campin) with it. I'll have a good idea how much this change affects it by next friday.

As far as the air hog goes, I know they have been advertising it quite a bit, but I've seen no real data. I know K&N works.

Another thing that works well is a product called Energy Release. I've never been a fan of any of those "majic" oil additives, ie; slick 50 etc.. but this shid works. Very well, I might add.

Ron, if you'te getting 17+ on your Hemi Ram you're doing alot better than most of us. even on a trip from Ohio to NC and back I only got 16, though that is throught the mountains of WV and Virginia. I average about 13.5 around town, but I'm not real gentle on the gas petal.

As for your question about the K&N cold air box, I'm not 100% positive, but I don't beleive it's just changing the air filter. I believe it's and actual cold air box that has a larger intake and mounted to receive more air flow, which will also come with a high flow filter and larger duct work/tubing feeding into the engine. Though I have been wrong once before.
laugh.gif

air hog is just a over priced normal air filter..

k&n air box thing is just a box that replaces your OEM air box...

if your getting 17mpg out of ANY dodge your doing excellent and don't need to be complaining at all.

especially the hemi... I figured you would be getting 14-15.. thats what I always hear about the dodge trucks.

2005 Hemi Quadcab Daytona...

Volant Cold Air Intake
Jet Stream Scoop
1100 miles on her

Set the cruise on the highway and gets 23.2 - 24.5 MPG

My old 2003 Ram Hemi 4x4, same stretch with Flowmaster Exhaust and K&N drop in 14 - 15.9 MPG

Thought mine was about the only one but I have 3 co-workers with the same trucks (no mods) and they still get 18-21 highway.

The only one that is less is the girl with the 17" rims, she is barely getting 18 highway and 12-13 in town.

I get about 15.5-16 in town

2003 Dodge 4dr long bed 4x4 with the Hemi on 33's. 10 city 12.8 highway $105 per fillup. She drinks a lot but she'll go anywhere at anytime and do anything I need (except go on a diet!) Your tellin me the 05 version gets 8mpg better!?!

Congrats
beerchug.gif

The Fram Air Hog is just a filter, the K&N cold air kit helps to get more air into the engine. The more air that you can get in there the more power you can make.

If your engine is capable of making more HP, you don't have to mash the go pedal as hard to get it goin'
biggrin.gif

If it breathes easier it will get better MPG....as long as you aren't doin' burnouts
tounge.gif

The Fram filter is just that, a filter. The K&N system your dealer was talking about will actually replace your stock air box, and it may even come with a kit to put your air filter in your fenderwell, allowing it to get cooler air from outside, instead of the warm air thats under your hood. Actually now that i look at that pic, thats why the shield is around the filter, to keep the warm air away from it.

Actually, the more air you get into an engine, with the EFI that all cars/trucks have nowadays, the worse your MPG. More air in, makes the computer compensate by adding fuel. To put this theory into action, I used Autotap on my dad's 2001 S-10, with a 2.2L 4cyl, and watched how much fuel was being delivered by the injectors. I rigged a restrictor plate up and put it in front of the TB, and after the computer adjusted, it showed that it was leaning out the mixture, to compensate for the reduced airflow. Less air = less gas = better economy.

Of course, if you get in there and rip out the EGR and PCV valves, and route that #### underneath the vehicle where it belongs, you'll also improve your gas mileage.
cool.gif

2005 Hemi Quadcab Daytona...

Volant Cold Air Intake
Jet Stream Scoop
1100 miles on her

Set the cruise on the highway and gets 23.2 - 24.5 MPG

My old 2003 Ram Hemi 4x4, same stretch with Flowmaster Exhaust and K&N drop in 14 - 15.9 MPG

Thought mine was about the only one but I have 3 co-workers with the same trucks (no mods) and they still get 18-21 highway.  

The only one that is less is the girl with the 17" rims, she is barely getting 18 highway and 12-13 in town.

I get about 15.5-16 in town
Post up or PM me any links or further information you have on the cold air intake and whatever the Jet Stream Scoop thing is, I'd be interested in anything to help boost both the mileage and the performance.

I've got the same Ram daytona you have and I'm not getting anyting near that kind of mileage.

Back