Fuel Additives

Investor

Donating Member
Registered
Hoping to get some advice on using a fuel additive.  I have an 07 Busa  
race.gif
 purchased about three weeks ago with almost 1000 miles on it  
super.gif
.  After reading info on the board, I've been buring 87 octane (only mod to date is a GIpro) and the bike has been running terrific.  Anyway, since this is my first sports bike (high performance engine), my question is it wise, or necessary, to periodically add a fuel additive.  If so, can you please suggest how often; i.e., every other fill up, every 4th fill-up; every 1000 miles?  Finally, if a fuel additive is recommended, any suggestions on a brand.

It is really nice to know that answers from the experts  
bowdown.gif
 to a question are only a posting away on the board.  Thank you - as usual your advice is greatly appreciated  
beerchug.gif

I use SEA FOAM in my bike. I've used it for years in a number of bikes, boats, etc. It has always done an exellent job keeping the chambers and intake clean.

Investor-
I use Exxon, Texaco ,shell -- major brands. Never run additives as most of them are snake oil. Seafoam is a good product , but you can ride year round there and shouldn't need it (storage). Also , I run 87 in the Busa and its just fine.
We need to hook up when i get there- I work on all my own stuff and can teach you to do the same. If you cant do it, I have known to be bribed sufficiently with b-b-q ribs and beers to successfully complete any repair.

Fuel additives is yesterdays answer for earlier crappy fuels. Most of todays "QUALITY" fuels don't need additives, (hint) their already in the fuel you buy.
I guess you have to know the difference between quality and trying to save a little money by filling up with
rock.gif
?

You want to use fuel additives for exactly WHAT REASON
rock.gif
? I've never used any additive (I do use ONLY major Gas Brands) for any of my bikes with NO PROBLEMS. Of course I do use stabilizer additive when storing. But you live in a 12 month riding season state, so unless your leaving for 90 + days, that's not an issue  
beerchug.gif

(xzvs @ Jul. 30 2007,00:54) Investor-
I use Exxon, Texaco ,shell -- major brands. Never run additives as most of them are snake oil. Seafoam is a good product , but you can ride year round there and shouldn't need it (storage). Also , I run 87 in the Busa and its just fine.
We need to hook up when i get there- I work on all my own stuff and can teach you to do the same. If you cant do it, I have known to be bribed sufficiently with b-b-q ribs and beers to successfully complete any repair.
Let me know if you ever move to SC
wink.gif

I think I been screwed
pissed.gif
by the stealership again. Told me the engine had a knock. Sounds like it sounded the day I drove it off the floor. Bought $12 bottle of fuel additive they said I needed to get rid of the carbon build up from using 87 octane.

I've seen the fuel debates on here time and time again, they are so full of shid. Makes me sick.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 30 2007,14:03) I think I been screwed  
pissed.gif
by the stealership again. Told me the engine had a knock. Sounds like it sounded the day I drove it off the floor. Bought $12 bottle of fuel additive they said I needed to get rid of the carbon build up from using 87 octane.

I've seen the fuel debates on here time and time again, they are so full of shid. Makes me sick.
Ask the Intellectual Giant since 87 burns faster than 91 Oct, where is the Carbon build up coming from
rock.gif

I try to run the mid grade fuel, 89 octane and have no issues whatsoever. On my 6 carb Hondas I routinely run some sort of gas treatment, more for the condensation issues than a fuel cleaner though, and again, no issues, no gummed up carbs or fuel lines. I can't see any good FI cleaner causing a problem so why not use some, occasionally?

Just a thought............................. I'm not sure what it's like where you live but in the smaller areas, most all gas comes from the same supplier. I was a huge fan of exxon gas with "techron" untill I saw the generic gas truck pull in for a delivery. I felt like I've been hosed. Ask your attendent "who supplies the gas"? There is a heck of a lot more BP stations than shiney BP tankers. It's like this all over the country, not just in BFE. Keep your eyes open and you'll be amazed you never noticed before.

(CBXRider @ Jul. 30 2007,15:22) I try to run the mid grade fuel, 89 octane and have no issues whatsoever.  On my 6 carb Hondas I routinely run some sort of gas treatment, more for the condensation issues than a fuel cleaner though, and again, no issues, no gummed up carbs or fuel lines.  I can't see any good FI cleaner causing a problem so why not use some, occasionally?
it won't hurt anything and if it makes you feel better its all cool -- its just money you could spend on mods tho

Thanks guys for your responses  
bowdown.gif

As I mentioned, I just wanted to make sure as to whether or not this is something I should be doing.  Bike has been running just awesome, and I always burn either BP or Chevron - so it sounds like I can forgo any fuel additives.  Just wanted to make sure that I'm taking good care of my baby  
super.gif

xzvs- thanks for the offer Bro - I may just take you up on an offer like that.  Man, if you'll work for bbq, thats a hella of lot cheaper than most independents in this area, and definately less than the stealers  
beerchug.gif

I'm a newbie and I find it strange to see the use of 87 in these bikes. No i haven't bought mine yet (still in the sand box) but is it going to make a difference when I get an 08 with the larger engine and higher compression? Not trying to hi-jack the post just wondering.

Radar

(DaCol. @ Jul. 30 2007,17:17)
Ask the Intellectual Giant since 87 burns faster than 91 Oct, where is the Carbon build up coming from
rock.gif
too true. most people don't realize that one reason for higher octane is that it burns slower to keep an engine from "pinging".

know several people that prefer 87 in their tank when they dyno.

i even remember it being mentioned a "ZX-14 diary" (see 4:45pm).

Link to Brock's Dragbike Diary

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil for over 30 years. Old harley biker turned me on to it, and Ive got some 27 +33 y/o bikes with no rust in tanks. On rebuilds they have always had fairly clean combustion chambers. Other bikes I've helped rebuild not as good.

(Radar @ Jul. 31 2007,22:28) So I guess that 87 will be ok for 08?
Until someone gets their hands on an '08 owners manual, who knows?

With a slight bump in compression, I'm going to guess a mid grade will be recommended.

Current Busa's run on 87 octane. It's in the manual also. To run higher is a waste of money. Unless your mods require you too.

As for quality gas, shell and 3 other manufactuers are now tier 4 gasolines. They keep deposits from forming and clean old deposits.

I used what ever was cheapest at Raceway. Then switched to shell. Don't know about a performance difference but I do get higher gas mileage with the shell.

Although I suspect this one shell station nearby of doing something to their gas. It doesn't smell like other shell station gas and sometimes I won't get better gas mileage. I think some gas stations are skimping out their gas or something.
race.gif

Back