Front wobbling...any idea?

Keep your hands on the bars and youll be fine lol. For real though, check out your dampner and change out the fluid in it. alot of people prefer 80 or 90 weight gear oil

Have you looked for tire defects or balance problems? It shouldn't shake even without the damper. The damper is for highspeed headshakes mostly. You might also have a problem in the steering head bearings. They might be loose?

Please keep us posted if you find the problem?

Check tire tread wear and balancing. Start cheap, then look at the expensive problems.

the only time I ever had that problem with a bike was a pretty much worn out front.

Like they said, first check your front tire, then check your forks to make sure there is nothing wrong with them, one might even be at a different setting than the other.

Thanks guys.....maybe u ar right.Should check the wheel balancing first...then the major parts.
Tried few times....at 210km/h my baby starts to shake the front...dont dare to pull more...
pissed.gif

Are you running the right front tire? ie size, speed rating I reason I ask is because I found out the shop put the wrong tire on my bike when I oversped the to tall, 120mph rated tire and it swelled up and burnt half way through my fender and shook the bars pretty good. NOT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently using...Bridgestones 012. 120/70/17 ss-type for thr front....
confused:The tyre..?The bearings..?The Wheel balancing..?or the what..???

The problem you are seeing at high speed is probably tire imballance. But you might want to check the steering head and forks anyway. make sure the comression and rebound damping settings are identicle on each fork. Then put the rear up on a sturdy stand and lift the front. I use nylon straps around the front frame and an engine hoist to lift the whole thing off the ground. Then grab the forks from the front and push/pull on them to look for loosness. There whould be no loosness at all and only slight flexing of the fork tubes. Check the triple clamps if you have more than a slight flex. The head bearings will cause loosness if they are shot or misadjusted.

My bike has no shakes or wobbles at any speed, never has. It is very smooth and I ride with no hands on the bars. I can steer with my knees and foot peg pressure. Your problem is unusual.

The problem you are seeing at high speed is probably tire imballance. But you might want to check the steering head and forks anyway. make sure the comression and rebound damping settings are identicle on each fork. Then put the rear up on a sturdy stand and lift the front. I use nylon straps around the front frame and an engine hoist to lift the whole thing off the ground. Then grab the forks from the front and push/pull on them to look for loosness. There whould be no loosness at all and only slight flexing of the fork tubes. Check the triple clamps if you have more than a slight flex. The head bearings will cause loosness if they are shot or misadjusted.

My bike has no shakes or wobbles at any speed, never has. It is very smooth and I ride with no hands on the bars. I can steer with my knees and foot peg pressure. Your problem is unusual.

Oh yeah, while you have it up off the ground, check the wheel for play. Have a friend hold the bars steady and you twist and pull on the front wheel checking for play.

If you take off the front wheel, check the wheel bearings for rotational smoothness and play. Also check the axle for straigtness. Simply roll it on a smooth flat surface, if it is bent it won't roll.Do the brakes drag? Does the wobble get worse under braking? Check the rotor bolts for loosenes or missing bolts. Check that the rotor mount has all its floating pins and the rotor has no excessive play.

That is about all there is on the front end to check. Bottom line is that the damper is there to catch any rider induced forces that can destabilize the steering. It isn't there to hide a problem with the front end geometery and servicing that causes a wobble. The bike should ride straight on a flat road without hands at any speed with no wobbles. Given no head bearing problems or damping/preload misadjustments, it is the tires causing problems. Try the Metzlers M1 or Dunlop 208's

Has this bike ever been in a front ender? If so maybe the steeringhead is bent sideways? if the front and rear tire are not tracking identicle lines, the bikes tires will be fighting each other to keep itself balanced and might shake at speed. You would see evidence of this in tire wear. each tire would have a feathered wear pattern or cupping on them, but the pattern would be opposite direction on each tire. This may cause the bike to feel like it is riding slightly sideways down the road too. Sideways bent forks, unequal spring preload, unequal damping, or bent axles can cause this to happen also.

Sorry for the double post above guys...

I thought of another possible cause. Is your bike lowered? With straps?? if so, lose them quickly! Some people raise the rear and lower the front (or leave the front stock). This increases the head angle and makes the front end twitchy. Any small deviation of the front end under those conditions will result in wobble.

Back