front wheel squeaking

BUSA.RICH

Registered
Ok last fall everything was ok but I needed new tires and wanted chrome wheels. I traded in my old wheels for chrome ones. Well when I put my wheels back on the front wheel squeaks if I pull the front break in a little it stops. So I thought it was the brakes I am not sure when they put the rotors back on the right sides. I took the pads off and sanded them put them back on still does it. The only other thing is that I tightened the axle to tight I didn't use a torque wrench. Or when they used the old Barings they messed them up but that wouldn't explain why if I pull the break it stops? There is allot of drag on the front wheel. Is there something I should have done to release the pressure? The squeak is boken not solid. Any help would be great

Did you check your rotors? sounds like they might have warped when you where changing the wheel.

how would that happen? I took them the old wheels and rotors they took them off and put them on new wheels they where room temp.

Rotors are on different sides or different rotation. Pads should wear evenly but...even a slight wear angle on pads may not seat flush on rotors if they are swapped and not identicle. Noise starting and stopping as wheel is spun sounds like pads are rubbing and then not indicating maybe a bent rotor. Did you knock a pad out of place when you slid the rotors into the pads in the calipers. Did someone squeze the brake lever with no wheel and rotors in place? This would leave the pads out further and when the wheel is istalled the rotors will fit too tight into the pads if at all because the caliper has been extended and doesn't retunn by itself so now there is now less space for the rotors.If you get the wheele on like this the pads will deffinately drag on the rotor causing it to turn hard,rub and squeaaaaaal. Check this out and push pistons in calipers all the way back in and install new pads that won't have any wear angle or patern and will breakin like they should,new.

so I need to get new pads and push the calipers all the way in? no one pulled lever with the caliper off. I didn't think they would move out of place with the pin and clip in place?

mine does the same after i changed the front tire but on my rotors the rivites seam loose they rattal is the big rivites suppose to be a lil loose or not my rotors are 2 parts i think they are stock

Old bearings should never be re-used:

All Balls Products

REMOVING WHEEL BEARINGS:
When you knock a bearing out of a wheel, for chroming, powdercoating, etc., you are fundamentally destroying that bearing. In fact, there's no other way to get it out without destroying it because it's pressed in on the outer diameter but access to the bearing is from the inner diameter. So you're putting an impact force across the balls of the bearing, which damages it. It's called loading across the bearing races. You're putting little microscopic dents into the ball and the race, and over time they get aggravated. The technical term is brinneling; when you put a shock force on an outer race to an inner race across the balls, that's what you get.

I don't know if that is the problem, but do yourself a favor and get a set of new ones - they aren't that expensive.
That just may fix the noise too.
Good luck!

Try the sponsors on the board and if no luck try this guy on ebay: worldwidebearings.
I have 12,000 miles on a set that I got from him 2 years ago, and they work real well.

Last edited:
Old bearings should never be re-used:

All Balls Products

REMOVING WHEEL BEARINGS:
When you knock a bearing out of a wheel, for chroming, powdercoating, etc., you are fundamentally destroying that bearing. In fact, there's no other way to get it out without destroying it because it's pressed in on the outer diameter but access to the bearing is from the inner diameter. So you're putting an impact force across the balls of the bearing, which damages it. It's called loading across the bearing races. You're putting little microscopic dents into the ball and the race, and over time they get aggravated. The technical term is brinneling; when you put a shock force on an outer race to an inner race across the balls, that's what you get.

I don't know if that is the problem, but do yourself a favor and get a set of new ones - they aren't that expensive.
That just may fix the noise too.
Good luck!

Try the sponsors on the board and if no luck try this guy on ebay: worldwidebearings.
I have 12,000 miles on a set that I got from him 2 years ago, and they work real well.

No reason to give my opinion, it's all right here.

You have a bearing issue.

so I need to get new pads and push the calipers all the way in? no one pulled lever with the caliper off. I didn't think they would move out of place with the pin and clip in place?
Your calipers/pads will slowly squeeze in abit when they're off the bike for any length of time. Always push them back in more than they need to clear the rotors, when you put them back on....then pump the brake a few times before you go for a ride. If you have to force the caliper and pads over the rotor because the pads are to close together you'll have excess drag, heat, wear, and noise ;)
Use a thick rag and a big straight edge screwdriver to carefully wedge them apart before you put the brakes back on. Do the same thing for any kind of hydraulic type system......brakes, clutch slave cylinder etc :thumbsup:

Back