Front Wheel Squeak

bkbusa11

Registered
Hey whats up, got a question. There is a squeak coming from the front of my bike and i am pretty sure that it is coming from the wheel. I had the brake pads changed about three months ago so i dont think that is the problem. I have heard it before and then it would seam to go away and come back whenever the hell it felt like it i guess. I started up again today and it sounds louder than i have ever heard it. What do you think it could be?

What year is your bike and how many miles are on it? Maybe you need to have your bearings re-lubed?

The brake pads ride almost touching the disk.
You could spray some brake clean on the calipers and pads and see if that clears it up.
Read the directions on the can first.
The other possibility is a wheel bearing.
How many miles, and does it sound like a bearing to you?

Yeah...I'd say with that many miles it could very well be your bearings.
I'm sure others have gotten more miles w/ out any problems on their bearings. But a lot of it would have to do w/ how the bike was ridden and how it was maintained.

I have a shimmy in the front end at about 40mph if I take my hands off bars, does anyone think this could be bearings as well?

I would get front wheel off ground spin it and look for side to side/up & down movement,but fix it before they look like these...The guy that owned this bike rode it 30 miles to me to save on a pickup fee.. :duh::alcoholic:4

Picture 4895.jpg

Picture 4893.jpg

Picture 4894.jpg

I would get front wheel off ground spin it and look for side to side/up & down movement,but fix it before they look like these...The guy that owned this bike rode it 30 miles to me to save on a pickup fee.. :duh::alcoholic:4

WOW.
That has got to be the winner, hands down.
I wouldn't let my wheelbarrow end up looking like that.

Last edited:
The brake pads just dragging ever so slightly the way they do can cause the noise you're describing. It doesn't really hurt anything but it sure can be annoying. Some times trying a softer pad compound can help. If this isn't the problem then I would agree to take a closer look at the bearings but noisy pads are more common.

Note: the original Suzuki bearings have only one side sealed so they are more prone to rusting. Buy aftermarket bearings from another supplier like Nachi.

Take off your calipers and suspend them from handlebars with a bungee. Now spin the wheel and see if the squeek goes away. If it's still there, change the bearings. Ask the shop if they use a bearing puller or hammer them in. A bearing puller must always be used installing the second bearing so as the achieve the correct clearance between hub and bearing. :rulez:

Back